MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-04-2001, 10:46 AM   #1
Kisner
Registered Member

Question Trunk Paint Color?

Still working on getting my 68 coupe ready for the paint shop - going with original candyapple red with black interior. My question is I'm seriously thinking of having the trunk area painted semi-gloss black to match the interior (not concerned about it being Concours correct or showing it) versus the original candyapple red that was used in the trunk. Has anyone painted their trunk black or a color other than the body and what do you think? Trying to envision how it'd look before I have it done and regret it.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 08:11 PM   #2
Gearhead999
Registered Member

My 68 is red, like car. I think if you paint the entire trunk black you'll be sorry. Think about what the underside of the deck lid will look like?? Where are you going to cut off the black?? My trunks rear hatch door is black. The floor is matted and the inner fenders, underside of deck lid and trunk bracing is red.
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 11:12 PM   #3
Kisner
Registered Member

My tentative plan was to paint the deck lid (top and underneath) candyapple red, but everything else, i.e., hinges, inside wheel wells, sides, and bottom semi-gloss black. Of course then I'd have the underlayment and original style carpet on the bottom. If I did play it safe and have it all painted red, my next question is when would I add seam sealer/adhesive sealant I'm using. I'm doing all the prep work myself and have it basically sanded down to the metal inside the trunk. I removed all the old original petroleum-based seam sealer since it was basically falling apart when I touched it. Wouldn't I put it on after the final primer coat and before the red? P.S. is your gas tank painted red too? I had mine painted semi-gloss black right after I bought it a couple of years ago.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 08:52 AM   #4
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Kisner,
I have a white 69 and have painted my trunk black except under the trunk lid and it looks great. I like the look and I added a light coating of 3M undercoating along the sides and tailight panel. It gives it that textured look.
You are correct I would apply the primer, than the seam sealer, than the top coat.

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote