MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-07-2001, 01:35 PM   #1
wantingamustang
Registered Member

Unhappy straches

i have 2 straches they not really noticable but if you guys are like me when it comes to your stang, it pisses me off a lot. i hated myself when i caused thm lol, stupid backing up a little too fast. well anyways i dont really know how to describe them. well they are really like surface sracthes. any ideas how to get them out? and there is actually an 1inch strach where the paint was taken off. anyone know of any detailing kits that work to fill in the missing paint? or any other recommendations?
wantingamustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2001, 05:35 PM   #2
blckhrs7
Registered Member

wantingamustang,
Here's the rule of thumb for scratches; Rub the end of your fingernail over the scratch. If you can feel the scratch with your nail, the scratch is too deep to be removed by buffing with a polish and can only be removed by repainting. If you can just barely feel it, I would try buffing it out anyway. Maybe you will get lucky and reduce it to at least acceptable. There are many good polishes for this. I feel that 3M products are the best. They can be found at the local parts store (prob. not Wal-Mart).

As far as the deep scratch, repaint is the only right way (very costly). You can go cheaper by getting some touch up paint in a bottle that matches. Use a toothpick or something similar to fill in the deep scratch. Do not exceed the edges of the scratch and get it on the good paint. After it dries, if you think it looks too rough, use the same 3M polish to blend it in.
blckhrs7 is offline   Reply With Quote