MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-17-2001, 08:42 AM   #1
VNAMUS in VA
Registered Member

Post Do leather interior and a sunroof mix?

I'm about to buy my first new car next month - 2001 GT! I really, really want a sunroof bad...I also really, really want the lumbar support that comes only with leather interior. A lot of people have been saying NO to the sunroof part. "Anything after market will leak!" The company the dealership hires looks like a good place. Here's their website: http://www.sure-fit.com/index.html. They guarantee their work. Is there any waterproofing stuff I can get for my seats, just in case?
What do you think?
VNAMUS in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 03:25 PM   #2
dinomite
The Dude

I don't know about doing it with leather, but scotch guard (3m) is good stuff. They don't offer it with a sunroof from the factory????????
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 03:33 PM   #3
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Red face

wouldn't it be better with leather? At least leather will wipe off, but water can sink into the cloth seats and *ew* mildew...

------------------
Elisha (Mustangbelle)
1994 GT: Cartech intake,4.10s, full exhaust, and pulleys.
Sold the 1986 LX sedan
http://www.geocities.com/mustangbelle_306
AOL name: GT306Chick

Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 03:37 PM   #4
Stefan
Registered Member

I think when properly conditioned and treated, leather is easier to care for than upholstery and cloth. I would imagine the same protectants you would use on leather jackets and coats would work fine.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
30 Years & 30 inches apart in the driveway!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 03:37 PM   #5
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

No, after 93 all sunroofs were done at the dealer or commissioned out to sunroof shops such as Adler and Mandel.

I wish!!

------------------
Elisha (Mustangbelle)
1994 GT: Cartech intake,4.10s, full exhaust, and pulleys.
Sold the 1986 LX sedan
http://www.geocities.com/mustangbelle_306
AOL name: GT306Chick

Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 08:25 AM   #6
1BadMoFo5.0

My convertible has leather. The thing you must remember is to keep the leather clean and conditioned all the time. That way it won't dry out and start to crack. I mean I leave my top down all summer and the seats are fine. But I use a conditioner on the them a lot also. And if you have a leaking problem the leather will not absorb the water as much as cloth so that might be a benefit.

------------------
90' 5.0 GT Convertible Mustang. 69' Mustang Mach 1 Fastback. Too much to list here so if you want to know ask me.
AOL name: Woodnutz351
Old 04-18-2001, 11:26 AM   #7
VNAMUS in VA
Registered Member

Thanks guys! Your replies make me feel much better about this whole thing. I'm wondering, what kind of leather conditioner do you use? and how often? I wanna keep this baby mint forever.
VNAMUS in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 02:21 PM   #8
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

In the summer it gets damn hot in my car with the black leather seats, I wouldn't want a sunroof to let in even more sunlight.

I have a bottle of the Mercedes Benz leather conditioner from my dad's old car and it has practically restored and re-softened the leather on my seats, not to mention the fact that they look great despite the car being 19 years old.

------------------
GT-40 heads (ported, polished, + milled), B303 cam, 1.7rr's, JE pistons, Offy intake, Carter AFB 625cfm carb, Flowtech 1 5/8" shortys, Flowtech X-pipe, MAC Flowpath exhaust, MAC pulleys, 373's, subframes, Eibachs+Tokicos, B+M ripper, FMS Clutch, Zoom Quadrant+cable, 17" CSA Ultra rims, 235/45ZR17 Yokohama AVS S4's, MSD 6A ignition+coil, FMS 9mm wires, Carbed, Naturally Aspirated, and Nasty!
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote