MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Appearance & Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-19-2000, 05:36 PM   #1
physicusstang
Registered Member

Question What to do about cnvertible top?

I have just bought a 87 Mustang LX 4 cyl. Convertible for a great price($100). It needed very little engine work at all, but the rear window on the top has come out of the seam at the lower portion. I have a couple of questions if anyone can answer them...

Can I replace the rear window section or do I need a new top. The top is in good condition, no leaks or anything. I also wanted to know if I can do this myself.

I also had a question about my power windows and mirrors. The only direction the mirrors move is to the left, all other controls for the mirrors don't work. The window on the drivers side and the rear window dips out of alignment when lowered. How can I fix this?

The car probably needs an engine. The current one has about 193,000 miles on it. Me and my father determined that it either needed the cylinder gaskets or the entire head. I am wondering if it would be cheaper for me to change the entire engine or fix the head? I don't have a lot of money, but I am willing to put up some in order for me to get it going again. One guy offered me $175 for an engine with approx. 100,000 mi. on it. Is this a good buy?

Finally, the doors need adjusting, but I don't know how to do this. The passenger door needs to be lifted in order to shut and the drivers door doesn't close all the way; you have to push it in to close it. My dad said that there was a little rust on the door hinges and in the trunk in the spare tire well; might these need replacement? As always, any suggestions are welcome. Thanks
physicusstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2000, 08:02 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb

The rear window can be replaced; look for a reputable auto upholstery shop for installation.

The wiring that runs to the mirrors is probably frayed or broken; an auto electrical repair shop can fix this for you but it could be a tad expensive.
The windows may need some new internal parts; you need to remove the door panels and check out both the wiring and the window hardware.
If you can do this work yourself, you'll save a bundle.

The doors probably require new hinge pins; not expensive but a bit tricky to install; the old ones have to be cut out.

$175. for a 100,000-mile 2.3 isn't too bad if it's in good shape, but I would do a head gasket/valve job on it before installing it if it's bone-stock and never been touched.

Repair any rust; it only gets worse.

Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: