MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Special Production
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-10-2005, 07:29 PM   #1
FreeSpirit
Registered Member

Default 2001 Cobra with "ticking" in engine!!

Hi!! I was wondering if someone could help me. My engine started making a "ticking" sound in mid-October. My 3 yr warranty expired October 1st!! But I only have 24,000 miles on the car.

I was wondering if anyone knows who I could call to see if Ford will cover the repairs. I took it to the dealer yesterday and they said the initial diagnostics checked out "Okay"....but it might be a piston, or lifter, or cylinder head. (Which cost me $100.00!)

I called the Ford Customer Service Hotline and they said they couldn't give me an answer until the dealer locates the problem... which means I have to pay the dealer to tear down the engine... another $270.00!

I called the District Manager for my region and he seems pretty helpful, but he has to review my case first and then try to point me in the right direction.

Has anyone else been in this situation? And where to go now? Or what to do? If it's a piston, it'll cost thousands...and I don't have the money!

Thanks,
Penny
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
nfroncha
Registered Member

Default Re: 2001 Cobra with "ticking" in engine!!

Honestly I've been researching the same problem with my 01 cobra. It just started a few days ago (73 thousand miles on engine). Before taking it to the dealer, I drove it around to several mechanics asking questions. I got the normal lifters and wrist pin answer from all. So I took it to the an SVT dealer, and they told me I needed a new engine. They also stated that it would cost more to break it down, find the problem and reassemble it,than purchasing a new one (5,550.00). If I find any information regarding this problem, I'll post it for you.
nfroncha is offline   Reply With Quote