MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Special Production
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-04-2002, 01:26 PM   #1
vtec8ter
Registered Member

Default 5.4 vs. 4.6

anyone ever consider making the swap? dropping a 5.4L engine into their cobra, kinda like the cobra type R but the hell of a alot faster and less expensive and with A/C and all the other stuff the type R doesn't have. any info would be great
vtec8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 12:00 PM   #2
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

There's a guy on the Corral board that did the 5.4 swap in his GT a couple years ago. You might go there and ask around. But I wouldn't do it in a Cobra. The 5.4 wouldn't be up to the specs of the Cobra R (not Type R) in the first place and wouldn't be up even to the specs of the DOHC 4.6 Cobra motor. You'd be much better off staying with the DOHC 4.6 that's in the Cobra.
Old 04-11-2002, 02:10 PM   #3
vtec8ter
Registered Member

Default it fits and makes 400 rwhp on motor.

i have a close friend that made the swap. i know it works and it fits. the upside is tremendous, the downside is the weight. i am just looking for tips and insight. thanks though. the 4.6 is a good motor, but with my 4.6 i cannot compete with my friend. he sprays a 300 shot on the 5.4. his car is a 98 cobra. and these are totally street cars. what i would like to do, is find a way to drop a 5.8 L motor in, like the new saleen they have. anyone know about that?
vtec8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 06:03 PM   #4
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

The 4.6 is really a very reliable engine..... When I blew my engine I asked the dealer about putting the 5.4 in my car... I am glad I didn't now... You can get some very kick *ss parts for the 4.6, SOHC and DOHC.. I have seen street cars that get incredible gas mileage and run 11-12 sec 1/4 mi......... I would just mod up your cobra engine... But, that's just my opinion, it's your car, do what you feel is best.

// Now own 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L \\
98SteedaGT is offline   Reply With Quote