MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Special Production
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
Jimmy King
Registered Member

Default '99 Cobra engine replacement - Richmond, Va

My poor '99 Cobra has a nasty rod knock. Fortunately, up until now, it's been a great, mostly trouble free car. Unfortunately, that means I really have no idea where to take it.

I dropped it off at Sheehy Ford and was quoted $6451 for replacement with a stock salvage motor. That seems pretty high to me and people on other forums think I should be able to get something that's at least mildly built for less.

I've seen some posts from people in the Richmond area here, so I'm hoping some of you can suggest where I can take it to for the best service around here and, hopefully, driving off with a bit beefier bottom half of the motor.
Jimmy King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
goodyear1984
Registered Member

Default Re: '99 Cobra engine replacement - Richmond, Va

well thats alot of money.if i were you i would wait and find some 1 that knows mustangs in your area,or catch on of the ford techs when there leaving workyou just have to find some 1 that know what there doing and will do it at there house for like 1000 bucks or less,then id find out some info on local machine shops and get a better bottom end built for it, mabey a stroker
347 stroker all forged,arp everything,stud mains w/girdle,7qt pan,full roller, custom cam, aluminum heads swirl valves 5 angle valve job.quick fuel 750,areomotive pump,cobras w/nitto drags,and m/t et drags for the track, ford racing 373 gears,centerforce clutch,tko500,underdrive pulleys,bassani x-pipe,flowmasters
^best et so far 11.6 1.61 60ft coming soon 9sec et's
1992 mustang gt
2001 gmc 1500 4x4
78 century boat
92 skidoo
goodyear1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
jovyarcher
Registered Member

Default Re: '99 Cobra engine replacement - Richmond, Va

the best that we can do for now is to check for other options, like there's a DIY guides on how to replace the engine of the car, like yours have, there's some sites actually that offers engine parts for the '99 cobra and you can do the engine replacement itself...