MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Special Production
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-18-2000, 02:12 PM   #1
Red Rocket
Registered Member

Question Blower's?

Any you guys with the 32-valve engine put a blower on or know of anybody who has? I'm thinking of putting one on, but I'm having too much fun without one right now. I'm curious how the driveability is around town. I mean, it can probably get pretty jumpy with 4:30's I imagine.

I'm curious to know what works best and what, if any, problems may have occured during installation. Is there a lot massaging to get the blower in? Is it worth the money?

The reason I ask, is I raced a guy with a blower, and his car didn't impress me. In fact, he got a little pissed when I told him I haven't even open the engine yet.

Thanks
Red Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2000, 05:25 PM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Superchargers work extremely well on the DOHCs. People are getting over 400 rwhp with 8 lbs of non-intercooled boost on otherwise stock motor. A lot more with bolt ons, especially exhaulst.

Installation varies from kit to kit and rather or not you have a '96-'98 or a '99 Cobra(returnless fuel system). In general its more difficult then it is on say a 5.0L, but it isn't impossible to do yourselves. The Vortec kit requires that you drill some holes in the oil pan for the oil lines. Some others have sealed systems and don't need engine oil. Other then that, its just a lot of moving and bolting.

They are also extremely street friendly. I rode in one and didn't even know it was blown, until the guy got on it. Then WOW.

The main draw back is that you have to be careful with the tuning. Because of the design of the intake, the number 6, 8, and especially 7 cylinders, tend to run a little lean under boost. The Cobra pistons will take a lot of pressure, but they can't stand even minor detonation at all. Expensive re-build.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote