MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Special Production
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-04-2001, 08:22 PM   #1
apowers1
Registered Member

Post Catalytic Converter

Hi i have a ford ranger 3.0 L V6 2000. I currently have a magnaflow dual exhaust system in it. I want to remove my catalytic converter but i have a oxygen sensor after the cat. Will taking out the cat make my check engine light turn on b/c of the o2 sensor after the cat? what damage can the removal of the cat cause to the o2 sensor? any other suggestions please say and also any other suggestions on how to make my truck louder too thank you please respond
apowers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 03:34 PM   #2
BlueOvalBolt
Registered Member

FWIW,here's my .02

Don't do it. I'm no expert but my guess is you will throw your PCM into a tizzy because the exhaust samples it is getting is not within its programmed spec's. It will try to correct the percieved problem by adjusting other engine inputs/outputs and I can assure you these adjustments will not be performance enhancing. More than likely it will cause your check engine light to come on.

Besides, nowadays there is little reason to do given the leap forward in converter technology. It has been found that in the Lightnings that the stock system performs the best and people lose power by going aftermarket. I unfortunately found this out the hard way on my L.

My advice is to stay green and either leave the stock one or buy a high flow after market piece if you think you need it. Besides, depending on where you live, you will not pass an emmissions test and/or inspection without it. It is also "technically" against Federal law replace any part of your emmission system, including exhaust, under 50,000 miles unless it is damaged or in need of repair.

------------------
'93 Cobra, 1 5/8" FMS shorty headers, 2 1/2" Mac cat-pipes, Borla cat-back, 180 degree thermostat, 4" ram air, 3.55 gears, March pulleys, strut tower brace, Kenne Bell flip chip, Crane Hi-6 ignition, Crane coil, Global West Trac-Link, Hurst chrome shifter, Canton oil pan, BFG g-force kd tires

'99 L, JL Stage II Ram Air, Bassani cat-pipes, Borla cat-back, R9 Superchip, Cal-Tracs, Chassis Tech 2" drop shackles, Water Wetter
BlueOvalBolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: