MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Special Production
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-05-2001, 11:15 PM   #1
CodeNinja
Registered Member

Question Dumb (newbie) question

If I get a cold air induction, does that obviate the need for a K&N filter? Or do I still need to get another filter to replace the stock one?

I was thinking that my first mod's would be exhaust (more for the sound than any added HP) and a cold air induction. And then when they come out with them for the 01 -- underdrive pulleys. Sound like a decent approach?

Thanks for any input.

------------------
CodeNinja
2001 Laser Red, "Bone Stock" Cobra
CodeNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 04:21 PM   #2
BodsnRods1
Registered Member

Not sure. I suppose it depends on the kit you buy. I was looking into them and it sounds like they all come with "high performance" air filters. If they are K&N or as good or better as K&N, I don't know.

It seems that a lot of people didn't find the promised horses in these cold air kits, so I decided not to bother. The comments always seem to be "looks good, sounds good, but didn't go any faster" and that was from GT guys. I have no idea what it'd do for a Cobra engine.

With that said, I am not the best person to ask. Hopefully someone with actual dyno and/or track numbers from a cobra will chime in.
BodsnRods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 07:03 PM   #3
venumus93
Registered Member

I installed a MAC cold air induction(CAI) and March pullys at the same time & only dropped my 1/4 mile ET from 14.52 to 14.46, soooo, not very much difference. I think I also drove the car better and maybe had better weather. Biggest difference for any Mustang will be to start with gears & exhaust, & I just got my 3.55's in last week. I'll be at the track probably 8/17 & let you know what that did for me. Later! By the way, my CAI came with a K&N style filter with Moroso's name on it, but i bet it was made by K&N...different than stock if you get a fenderwell system like I did...

------------------
93Cobra#3974
off-road h-pipe, 2chamber flowmasters, hurst shifter, moroso cold-air induction, march street pullies, best 1/4 14.461 at 98.15mph, best 60' 2.233
venumus93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 09:43 AM   #4
mn96cobra
Registered Member

Exclamation

The 1996+ 4.6L DOHC engines love to rev.

If you are changing the gears done't go with anything lower than 3.73s and preferably 4.10s or if you run the drag strip a lot, 4.30s

As for the cold air and a K&N, swap in the K&N right away, the paper filter (stock) does not allow the engine to breathe very well. The cold air induction is simply an attmept to get colder (denser) air into the combustion chamber.

These cars really respond to both intake and exhasut side changes. With a set of pullies and a K/N you will notice a big seat of the pants difference.

Then swap in a set of 4.10s, and You "feel" like you've added 100hp to the car.

Then save your money and get the blower.
<BIG grin> you won't be sorry!

mn96cobra is offline   Reply With Quote