MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-30-2004, 12:18 AM   #1
chatcher
Registered Member

Question clutch prob

i think i am at the begining of the end of my clutch but i have only ever had to replace one clutch in my life and it was on my first car (82 accord) it is slipping after quarter throttle(and even more so when im going up hills)im good up until about 2 grand then it just revs which im guessing means its going but im not sure because the clutch in my accord showed no signs of failing till it was gone then i went from driveable to unmoveable this one is the original clutch in a 92 lx V8 with 91k before i spring for a new clutch which im sure i should anyways is there anything else that my be causing this or am i right in thinking its the clutch and also any links that might help with installation or tips will be greatly app

thanks
Old 09-30-2004, 09:01 AM   #2
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

sounds like the clutch. i had similiar symptoms when my stock clutch gave out at about 110k. just say you were going 30mph in 3rd gear, if you got on the gas the tach would instantly jump to bout 3500rpm but car would not gain speed. after a second or two, it would drop to 1500k where it should be, and rpm's would increase normally and the car would pick up speed. it got worse and worse, especially on hills. i picked up centerforce II clutch and have been very happy with it. grips 60% more than stock and the pedal is not as hard. dunno if the other aftermarket clutchesfeature a softer pedal as well, but i dont think so. no more left leg cramps!
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 04:45 PM   #3
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

It's the clutch. It's a pretty self explanatory job. A few things I would point out: 1st thing drain the trans fluid. If you get an aftermarket clutch, you will need to go to the parts store to get a line up tool. They are like $5. Inspect your trans seals while you have it out. Also take off the flywheel and inspect your oil pan end seal and rear main seal. Plan on wanting to get a new t.o.b. retainer. When you see yours, you may want a new one. If you don't already have one and can afford one, get an adjustable cable. It can make life easier when you are doing this job by yourself.

When you shop for an aftermarket clutch kit, make sure they come with a throw out bearing. All clutch kits are supposed to but I have only bought one aftermarket kit (Ford Racing) and don't know about the others.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:46 PM   #4
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

ok 1.5L 90hp no torque Vs. 5.0L 225HP gobs of torque. enough said.. clutch is shot!
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote