MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-06-2001, 09:24 PM   #1
89GT5.0GIRL
Registered Member

Post Shifters and gears

I bought my car with 4.10 gears in the rear and I wanted to swap them out for 3.73 to get better gas mileage and all that good stuff. I also wanted to get a new shifter. I knew a guy that had a Steeda shifter in his and he said that it was spring loaded and was very east to shift since it basically did the work for you. Any ideas on some shifters. Also my second and third grinds when I put it in gear becasue the guy that I bought it from ran it hard. I was also wondering if just getting synchros was a good idea or if I should just get a rebuild kit for my trans instead? Thanks.
89GT5.0GIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 09:40 PM   #2
Mstng93SSP
Registered Member

Most of the aftermarket shifters are gonna find third for you, it is in their design. The Steeda tri-ax and Pro 5-0 are both excellent choices and will give you a 100% better shifting experience than a stock shifter not to mention the positive stops that help save your shift forks by not letting you overshift. As for the tranny,...well..it depends on how hard the thing was shifted. I went through three (3) T-5's before buying a Tremec so I would suggest a good tranny person take a look at it. The gears, I'm not sure how much better gas milage you will get with 3:73's but I'll bet you will miss the punch of the 4:10's ...Chris.

------------------
93 Police Package, Tremec 3550, Centerforce Clutch, Pro-5.0 Shifter, FMS Aluminum Driveshaft, 373's, Headers, H-Pipe, Strut Tower/G Brace, K&N, Maximum Motorsports brake upgrade kit 14.65 @ 96.8
Mstng93SSP is offline   Reply With Quote