MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Special Production
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-23-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
Oldschoolpony
Registered Member

Default New SVT owner here.

Hello. I picked up a 03 lightning tonight for 25,800 with 29k on it in mint condition. I am wanting to customize it(Horsepower). But dont want to do anyhting drastic, ie removing the motor. What i need to know is, what are some parts to look into. IE: custom pulleys. cold air intake, exhaust(off road) and any intake mods, also a chip. So, ant advice?
Oldschoolpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:19 PM   #2
StangFlyer
Founder

Thumbs up Re: New SVT owner here.

Hey, that's awesome! You'll love having a Lightning, they are awesome trucks. Mine is still stock accept for the addition of a complete Bassani exhaust system, which really sounds great on it. Some future modifications you may want to consider in addition to an exhaust is an induction kit, throttle body, mass air kit, 4# or 6# blower pulley upgrade, and a computer recalibration chip (done with a chassis dyno). You can significantly add to the performance of the Lightning with these upgrades.
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
StangFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:25 AM   #3
Oldschoolpony
Registered Member

Default Re: New SVT owner here.

Any particular names to look into? I'll start with the cold air kit. mac B&K? I only know what i need for my 88gt so this is totally new for me
Old 01-24-2005, 09:19 AM   #4
Oldschoolpony
Registered Member

OK, so far what Ive picked out(not yyet bought). C & L power package. (chip inculded) the 95mm maf with filter and the upper the upper intake.

Considering a 4# pulley. the 6psi is too much for premium only fuel. And still looking for a decently priced exhaust.

Any ideas? LOL, btw anyone in the market for an 88gt LOL
Old 01-31-2005, 08:04 PM   #5
StangFlyer
Founder

You are better off buying the MAF kit that doesn't have a chip included, putting on all your mods (include the pulley), and then tuning the truck on a dyno and having a chip. The chip that comes with the power package doesn't take into account your 4# pulley upgrade or other mods you might do. Also, each vehicle can turn out slightly different, even with the same mods, so dyno tuning is always the best way to go.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:58 AM   #6
GodStang
College Stanger

Stay away from BBK if at all possible. JLT is a great CAI also.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:27 AM   #7
RBatson
Registered Member

Dan, I thought you had Roush upgrade your truck. For some reason I thought you had a Roush intake or something.
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:47 AM   #8
StangFlyer
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBatson
Dan, I thought you had Roush upgrade your truck. For some reason I thought you had a Roush intake or something.
No... my truck was originally an internal Ford vehicle at SVT. As told to me via an SVE employee, it was one of 15 original 1999 models that were used internally for press reviews, autoshows, and the like. When they did several design upgrades for the 2000 model year, they needed a couple trucks with all the new parts on them for press reviews and to take to shows. Therefore, SVT had Roush upgrade two of those original trucks with all the 2000 parts and then used them for that purpose. Once the 2000 models were actually rolling out they no longer needed it and released it internally for sale. I was then lucky enough to get my hands on it.

So, the truck has a some cool history to it and it is somewhat unique. I even have the original vehicle registration and insurance slips in Ford Motor Companies name... and, several FoMoCo vehicle release authorization letters that were still in the glove box made out to various magazines/journalists inside. This is the 2000 truck that appeared in those, and other, magazines. Way cool.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:24 AM   #9
RBatson
Registered Member

Thumbs up Re: New SVT owner here.

I remember you posting about Roush upgrading it, years ago.

Sounds like you have one of those vehicles with some cool history. Maybe it'll make it into one of those car museums one day with all the documentation on display. (If you don't tear it up first )
Old 02-02-2005, 08:44 AM   #10
StangFlyer
Founder

Actually, before getting my Lightning, what I really had wanted was to buy another Mustang. I didn't even really like trucks in general back then! However, with my Mustang getting more serious at the time, and getting to the point of wishing I had a tow vehicle and trailer, I decided a Lightning was the best compromise of the things I wanted. It can tow my Mustang to the track while also being a powerful, sporty, and fun vehicle to drive too. Besides... it matches my Mustang perfectly.

As for what you commented on in your reply to the other thread... you are somewhat right on the price of it though if you are buying one from a dealer. I don't think they are that bad priced sticker new, but dealers have this habit of jacking it up a nice chunk (at the time I bought mine at least). I was just lucky all the way around with mine. I ended up with exactly what I wanted, a vehicle that's a little special, it was only "slightly" used (under 10K on the odometer), and I got it for a killer price to boot. I just couldn't pass it up. Someone did me a big favor getting it... hopefully I've returned the favor a little by now.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:54 PM   #11
Oldschoolpony
Registered Member

OK, Got with a reputable dyno shop in orlando (LaMotta Performance
). Ordering the 4# pully, Upper intake, acufab single blade, 95mm maf, Airfilter kit with mounting hardware. The chip will be purchased at the dyno shop and custom programmed there also. The maf will also be installed there, but not in that order

All of it is comming from C & L.

PS. the dyno shop said that they see typicall around only a 10 HP gain with complete exhaust systems and my combo( they stated that theyve tried a multitude of combinations also) and for the close to 1500 dollars said its not worth it. I kind of agree, but if I had the extra 1500 id get it for the 10 or so hp.

Ohh also, The new mustang is almost ready. User rides 1546 will be getting some new updates and hopefully a 10 second pass<-- not the svt, my 88 gt race car. Svt is going to pull it to the track and run down the track too.