MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Modular Madness (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   rpm hangs between gears (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=17981)

porkster 01-04-2002 08:06 AM

rpm hangs between gears

I just bought my first Mustang. 2002 coupe, 5 speed.
This will be easier to explain with an example. When I am in 2nd gear, getting ready to shift into third, my rpms may be about 3500. When I push in the clutch, the rpm hangs up there at 3500. If I hold the clutch in long enough, it will come down to idle. But when shifting at a normal rate, it stays up there. So when I shift into third and begin to release the clutch, the rpms are still high and it bucks, unless I really feather the clutch - almost like double clutching.

It does this between all gears. This was just an example. Is this normal or is there something wrong? Thanks for any help!

blue00gt 01-04-2002 01:04 PM

I've noticed that my '00 GT also takes a lot longer for the revs to drop when you push in the clutch than in my 5.0s. It's always done this since it was new. Not sure if it is normal.

Hammer 01-04-2002 01:42 PM

Mine has done similar things since the blower install.

A couple of possibilities....
Try clearing your computer by taking the battery cable off for about 10 minutes.... Then go drive the crap out of it for about 20 minutes so it can "re-learn"... See if that helps.

Also see if its a cold\winter air thing, does it happen when the engine is at operating temps?

porkster 01-04-2002 03:02 PM

I am in Florida, so the weather isnt (usually) cold. But yes, it does it when the engine is cold and warm - all the time. The car is brand new, under 200 miles on it, so I cant "drive the crap out of it " YET. :) Thanks.

silverv6 01-06-2002 09:29 PM

YOu problably should just take it to the dealer instead since its still under warranty:rolleyes:
Is your car v6? well if it is this is just a guess ok well my car as a limiter wich it cant go pass the 115mph. Also I think theirs one on the RPM's <<<<<< Im not sure but it maybe that.

P.s.

Take it to the dealer and like its under warranty still u wont get charged nothing:D

Thats my best advise

silverv6 01-06-2002 09:32 PM

Is your car a V6????

K&N filter<<<< cut filter box out

waiting for my MAC Cold Air Induction and BBK Throttle body <<<< still havent arrived yet:mad:

porkster 01-07-2002 06:57 AM

Yes it is a V6.

95GTS 01-11-2002 05:34 PM

I don't know about the V6s but the all the V8s since 96 hang in the rpm's till after you shift and let out. From what I was told it has to do with the way the computer is programmed for emissions. I wish I could remember exactly what Ford told me but that's the explaination I received. Something about the motor staying up in the revs with reduced emissions. Nothing wrong with it. Just annoying. Put in a K&N filter and it'll drop a little quicker. At least it did in my 96 GTS. Not much but a little bit quicker drop.

GCMustang 01-15-2002 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 96GTS
I don't know about the V6s but the all the V8s since 96 hang in the rpm's till after you shift and let out. From what I was told it has to do with the way the computer is programmed for emissions. I wish I could remember exactly what Ford told me but that's the explaination I received. Something about the motor staying up in the revs with reduced emissions. Nothing wrong with it. Just annoying. Put in a K&N filter and it'll drop a little quicker. At least it did in my 96 GTS. Not much but a little bit quicker drop.
Although it is just hearsay, I have heard the same thing you did. The computer keeps the revs from dropping quickly so that the engine can burn off unburned fuel that remains in the port from high rev-WOT application. Supposedly it reduces emissions. I don't mind it, and haven't come across the bucking that porkster experienced. If anything, it keeps the motor from bogging between shifts. Might be a clutch adjustment in your future?