View Single Post
Old 02-22-2002, 10:41 AM   #1
Vision
Registered Member

Question More SVT Cobra questions?

Thanks for all the input the three guys responded with below; I really appreciate it. Btw, the only reason I mentioned about 6 vs. 5 speed having anything to do with top end power was, it is easier to get better top end with a 6 speed when you have to consider gas mileage, top speed, and a power band to worry about. Then again, I don't know much about V8's, so maybe I'm completely wrong.

Here are my new questions concerning the SVT 2003 Cobra, and a few concerns.

First, I compared two somewhat similar models, a Stage 3 Rousch Mustang and the SVT 2003 Cobra. Rousch said it didn't trust the strength of the IRS, and neither do I for that matter. Has anyone had experience with similar horsepower/torque figures on an IRS?

Second, what about weight savings on the new Cobra? According to Ford's vehicle spec through a .pdf, the car almost weighs 3600 lbs.! That means with me in it, I'll be hauling close to 3800 lbs. down the track, ouch! Un-sprung weight in all, if I wanted to hook up with Richard Simmons and shave off oh, 500 lbs. without going to a tube design, how much trouble am I looking at?

Third, ride height: I sat in a 2001 SVT Cobra and it felt like I was sitting in a truck. Is it just the car sits so high, or the seats are just up higher than normal? Or, is it a combination of both? Has anyone lowered their Cobra about an inch all the way around and put in a stiffer suspension? Also, if I were to get Sparco racing seats, or something similar, would I have a lot of trouble seeing over the hood?

Fourth, the shifter: The 2001 Cobra I drove had a shifter that compared to an old Chevy truck I used to drive around with a 3 speed column shift. Is it just the linkage cables or the shifter plate, or is it both? How much of the notchy, grinding, and looseness would disappear with a stiff shift kit, if they even make one?

Thanks again for all your help, guys.

Vision
Vision is offline   Reply With Quote