MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-08-2000, 01:32 AM   #1
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Post Shifting difficulties

I'm not sure if this is a T45 problem, a 4.6L problem, or a Mercury problem, but when I drive like a normal sane person (light on the gas) I can almost never get a smooth shift into second. My 2000 Gt is a 5 spd, and its my first manual car. I have only a little over a month driving a tick under my belt so I think its a Mercury problem.

I usually shift at 2300 rpms when driving normally, could this be the problem? It never grinds the gears when shifting, just kinda dumps in. Anyone else with this problem?
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2000, 02:34 AM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

I don't know.

I'm an expert on T45 problems, which there are several. But many of them were fixed, or at least made considerably better, when Tremec took over production from Borg Warner (for 99 and later cars) which had some serious production (for 96-98s) problems. But usually its grinding, not a "jumping in" problem.

2300 is fine for daily shifting. Actually I'm not sure what to tell you. I have heard of clutches being a bit "grabby" in certain gears. Maybe your clutch is "grabby" in second? /shrugs/

Even with the T45 issues, in my experience Mustangs are by far the easiest manual I've driven.

My only question: Does it vary from when the car is cold, to when the car is warmed up?
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2000, 02:42 AM   #3
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Your question about the problem occuring while cold or hot is a good one. Thinking back, No it doesnt seem to matter. Its only the 1st to 2nd shift. And it seems to jerk when I push the clutch in to shift into second. But other times it dumps when I let off the clutch going into second. "grabby" would be a perfect way to describe it.

I must agree, the mustang is the easiest manual tranny car to drive. I was actually thinking of getting a 2000 Miata ( okay, okay, throw stones later. I didnt think I could afford a new GT Stang. I wanted the stang first though). When test driving the MX5 I kept stalling it. The stang is a very forgiving car.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2000, 09:48 AM   #4
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool

Well, this probably won't help a whole lot but start with a few things. Vary your shifting rpms. Try hard and soft shifts - slow and fast. A while ago I had some issues with the 1st to 2nd shift. It was grinding a tad (seemed to be worse when it was cold). I changed the fluid and it seemed to be better. For whatever reason it hardly seems to do it now. I guess my point is if it continues through all conditions you can at least have some info to give the Ford guys for warranty work ( I assume it's under warranty being a 2000).

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator, Firestone Firehawk 215/60R14's

96 GT Convertible
Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, B&M Ripper, Borla Side exhaust,
K&N, removed air silencer, Tokico struts/ shocks, BF Goodrich Comp T/A 245/50 16's
Next up: 3:73's, high flow H-Pipe

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2000, 11:40 AM   #5
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

I can honestly say that after 30K miles and well over 200 passes at the track in the last year my T-45 does the same thing. Hot/cold, varying RPMs, changing trans fluid it still does it. Most noticably when it's cold but does it still when hot. I used to have a bad grinding problem but that was due to Ford not using the lock washers that came with my after market shifter when they put my car back together after some warrenty work which resulted in a loose handle that through off my shift timing.

------------------
00 GT, K&N, MAC Tree Killer, Pullies, 4.10’s, 2 chamber Flowmasters, UPR shifter, Weld Pro Stars, Nitto DR’s 13.35@100.02 (1.88 60ft)MM#100
88 LX coupe X-FHP, 12pt Cage, UPR K-member, 31 spline rear, full spool, more to come
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2000, 05:25 PM   #6
96cobra89Lx306

I have driven many different cars and have had 6 mustangs to date. I can honestly say the mustang trannys are some of the worst shifting boxes in the world.

Anyone want to know what you're missing out on go try a BMW and you'll see what i'm talking about. for what they are, the mustang T5 and somewhat smoother T45 are adequate but they should be alot better considering what these cars cost. I hate to say it but the foreign cars have us beat when it comes to transmissions. I test drove an M3 last year and almost traded my Cobra in on the spot because of how smooth the drivetrain was. I woke up from this fantasy when I realized how much faster my car was than any M3 and walked off the lot. Now granted, this isn't comparing apples to apples but still the two trannys weren't even close. I got back in my car and felt like I was rowing gears in a dumptruck . I think the aftermarket shifters attribute to the notchyness most of us experience but if we don't install them, we run the risk of damaging our shiftforks?? I did drive a T56 Firehawk and it is better but not by much..

------------------
(96Cobra/softtop-3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes+shifter,eibachspgs,pulleys,Bassani X pipe,C&L 80mm
Cobra DYNO 301rwhp horsepower w/out steeda timing adjuster
93 Ford Probe Gt(slower but turns)

[This message has been edited by 96cobra89Lx306 (edited 11-08-2000).]