MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-16-2003, 01:14 PM   #1
306bullet
Registered Member

Question Lets talk camshafts

Hey folks, I have a question. First, I tried to do a search and I must be blind, but I really couldn't take away much from some of the previous posts.
Anyway, I am building a DSS 306 w/ forged pistons. I have a set of AFR 185 heads. The motor is running about 10:1 comp. I have a brand new set of FMS 1:7 rockers that I would like to use. This car will not be emisson legal. It will also be half drag strip and half street use. I am looking for a roller with a pretty lopey idle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. It is a 5spd, and it will be injected. I have an extrude honed Cobra upper and lower. Also this car will not have any power adders for now.

Last edited by 306bullet; 01-16-2003 at 01:33 PM..
306bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 01:20 PM   #2
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

i have heard nothing but good things about the trick flow cams, i would probably go with a stg. 1 trick flow. i am using an anderson b31 and the car seems to run great so far. just stay away from the alphabet cams, i have had the e,b,x and they all sucked.

95gt lazer red (98 cobra clone)
Rice Haters Club Member #116
sn95gt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 01:24 PM   #3
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Sounds like a very nice combo you've got goin there. What intake are you planning on running?

as for the cam, I'd reccomend checking out anderson's selection of "custom" cams. The N-41 seems like it would work nicely for you. Whatever you do, please don't settle for an off the shelf alhabet cam. You've spent some decent money there and I'd hate to see you skimp on the cam and not optimize what you've got.

Also, try to contact Ed Curtis of FTI and see what he can do for you. His cams are a bit pricey, but are well worth it.

good luck in your decision
Old 01-16-2003, 01:25 PM   #4
stangsrule
Registered Member

I would suggest you call Comp Cams on their toll free number and talk to the fine techs there. I had read about a couple of their cams with a setup almost exactly like mine in one of the Mustang mags and wanted to try the bigger of the 2 cams. Only problem was the test was done with a motor that had 1.6 RR's an mine are 1.7 and I wasn't going to be able to use it with out a lot more work to notch the pistons... A buddy of mine found that they had one with almost the exact same specs but a little less lift, so I called their tech line a spoke to to them about my combo and my goals and asked if this cam would work and they said it would work fine but recommend a little more lobe sepration for my setup (which is exactly what Kenne Bell says also) and when I asked if that was going to be considered a "custom grind" they said yeah but we won't charge you and extra for it. So I ordered it on the spot and so far a really like it but have yet to get it on the dyno to see what kind of numbers I am getting out of it. Hey, it won't cost you anything but a little time to at least talk to them.

BTW how is it going with the insurance and body shop and all that crap? Good luck!

PS just for the record I know 2 guys with differant setups that called Anderson's and ordered the cam that they suggested for their individual setups and both cams were junk and they couldn't get any help/support from Rick and his boys and Anderson. Rick insisted they weren't installing them correctly but both cases were with guys that kknow what they are doing and in fact one of them is the head SVT mechanic here at the local Ford dealership. One went with a Trick Flow and the other an F cam and both are now happy. My guess is that a few bad grinds slipped out and that in itself wouldn't bother me too much but the fact that Anderson's wouldn't do ANYTHING to back up their product ir even invistigate it REALLY bothers me. I have bought from themm in the past but not so sure I want to any more if that is how they are going to take care of their customers...
92GT Lowered with Ebiach's and Koni's, Kenny Brown subframe connectors, lower G-brace and jacking rails. BBK upper and lower control arms, polyurethane bushings all around and Ken Bell blower, ram-air, 80mm mass air, SMC Alky Injection kit, J&S Knock Gaurd, TwEECer RT and a bunch of other stuff!

Last edited by stangsrule; 01-16-2003 at 01:34 PM..
stangsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 01:32 PM   #5
306bullet
Registered Member

fiveoh- It is an extrude honed Cobra upper and lower.

Stangsrule- I got screwed big time. I lost about $4000 on the whole deal. You live and you learn.........
Old 01-16-2003, 01:37 PM   #6
stangsrule
Registered Member

4cefed, I am really sorry to hear that, did Abbot's follow through with all they promised or not? I won't be taking anything there... Did the police get anywhere on tracking down who actually did it? Good luck form this point on!!
92GT Lowered with Ebiach's and Koni's, Kenny Brown subframe connectors, lower G-brace and jacking rails. BBK upper and lower control arms, polyurethane bushings all around and Ken Bell blower, ram-air, 80mm mass air, SMC Alky Injection kit, J&S Knock Gaurd, TwEECer RT and a bunch of other stuff!
Old 01-16-2003, 01:55 PM   #7
306bullet
Registered Member

No, I ended up turning it in to my insurance. They hired an outside estimator. I ended up getting payoff and about $2k. I had close to $5k in receipts. That doesn't count all of the labor and extras that were already on the car. I have approached Abbott's and they told me to get lost.

I also talked with several attorneys and they all said pretty much the same thing............No case. I was told that there aren't any laws to protect me and that my only real chance was in small claims. Even then they predicted my chances were less than 5% to recover anything. Never again!!!!!!! Please tell everybody you know about how they took care of me.

On a side note........I have been told by both the sherriffs and the city investigators that they suspect it was an inside job. No real evidence to go forth with charges though. I was also told by the manager of the local Enterprise car rental that mine was the second car in 6-months to be stolen and stripped.

Last edited by 306bullet; 01-16-2003 at 02:02 PM..
Old 01-16-2003, 02:43 PM   #8
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

you should always degree a cam no matter what, andersons cams are regrinds so they might be off a little, but if you would have degreed the cam you would have had no problems.

ANDERSON IS THE BEST CAM I HAVE EVER HAD, YOU HAVE TO DEGREE THEM, AS YOU SHOULD WITH ANY CAM!

Old 01-16-2003, 03:52 PM   #9
stangsrule
Registered Member

On the 2 cams I am talking about it wasn't a matter of degreeing... the grinds were way off and they tried everything possible and they were just junk. In both cases the guys installing knew what they were doing as I already said before one of them is the head SVT mechanic at the local dealer and I am sure he has installed more than his share of cams... Like I said before I think it was a matter of a few bad ones slipping through, the fact that Anderson's wouldn't stand behind their products is what really ticks me off. I know theirs are re-grinds and they probably had nothing to do with the actual grinding of it but if it has their name on it and they are selling it as their product they better stand behind it. I think there are a lot of good cams out there and I have no doubt that Anderson's sells some of them but the if you happen to have a problem with it you just wasted your money cause they won't do anything to help you out...
Old 01-16-2003, 05:53 PM   #10
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

hey Mark, thats really suprising to hear.

I recently made a trip to his dyno facility with a friend who was getting his car tuned. Both Danny Biggs AND Rick Anderson were extremely nice and tried explaining everything they were doing to not only the customer, but to me as well. I figure'd they'd just see me as some punk kid and not give me the time of day, but they were both very informative.

was this cam incident recent? The friend of mine says Rick was always very complete and informative on the phone, and thats before he even bought anything from him.

was it rick or danny or someone else that they talked to?
Old 01-16-2003, 06:11 PM   #11
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

he has been nothing but helpful towards me too, i just find it hard to beleive that the people that you know happened to get 2 bad cams, when i have never heard of anyone having any problems with the cams except them being a couple of degrees off. which is easily fixed if you degree the cam.
that brings on another whole discussion on mechanics, "some" of the mechanics today dont know jack about cars, they sat in a classroom, passed the class, and now they are working on your car. im not saying that all mechanics dont know what they are doing, but there are quite a few that you could tell to assemble your motor and they wouldnt know where to start. im mostly talking about dealership mechanics, i have experianced too many idiots that there is no way that i would let touch my car.

Old 01-16-2003, 08:05 PM   #12
JaxTheDJ
Registered Member

I just installed a custom grind COMP Xtreme energy cam in my 89 and it ROCKS!!!!! VERY happy with the results,a 7/10 in the 1/8th mile improvement,it did everything they told me it would,my 60's increased from 1.90's to 1.70's and the top end power was awesome. I just called COMP and told them my setup and they ground one for what I wanted,got it in 4 days. I highly reccomend them.
1989 Mustang LX: Converted to Carb.650 AED Holley DP,Weiand Stealth Intake,Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Heads,Hooker Super Comps, Ground Pounder Uppers and Lowers,Moroso Drag Springs,NEW COMP Xtreme Energy Cam and 1.6 RR. ,a few other goodies.*** New 1/4 times-12.50
1987 SC GT ( fast as hell)
2001 Powerstroke Tow Vehicle 1989 Coupe.

Sometimes when you cry,no one sees your tears..........
Sometimes when you are happy,no one sees your smile.........
But,FART just ONE time..........
JaxTheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 09:15 PM   #13
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

Quote:
custom grind COMP Xtreme energy cam...they ground one for what I wanted,got it in 4 days.
What are the specs? ...sounds like an 'off-the-shelf' custom grind to me. Don't get me wrong, Comp makes some good stuff, but a true custom grind in 4 days?

IMHO, most of the 'custom' grinds out there are taken right off the shelf...

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 02:42 AM   #14
stangsrule
Registered Member

Hey look guys, I am not trying to argue... I have been to their place too and I have bought things from them before and still will. I am just saying that two close friends (not that I heard it from a friend that heard it from a friend crap) who happened to buy them at about the same time and both had problems are now 2 very unhappy customers. Was it a fluke? I think so. Maybe a problem with the grind machine, maybe a hung over worker, whatever... Now I did talk to one of them and he did say that Rick said he could send it back and he just never did... So maybe on Anderson's part the customer service wasn't quite as bad as I was led to beleive but the fact remains that they both got bad ones... Drew, next time you talk to Ryan or Tom ask them about it. One was in Ryan's car. Do you know Ed, with the black 93 cobra that works at the dealership? He is the other one. Maybe there was a problem and Anderson's didn't know about it... Anyway, I know they have a lot of verry happy customers and I know they make (ok, have them made for them) good cams and I know that it is really odd that there were 2 bad ones here in the same town and I happen to know them both... But it is true none the less... So as far as this info goes you can take it or leave it, it really doesn't matter to me.