MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-26-2001, 10:54 PM   #1
rbatson

Question Built engine, superchargers, timing, fuel pressure, plugs..

You guys with the built engines and superchargers, I'm sorting this thing out.. still! What blower are you running(and type.. a,b,s,t trim) and what is your combo? I'm looking for fuel pressure(Mines at 39 for now), timing(stock on mine), do you have a timing retard(I don't yet)? If so what is it set at? What plugs do you run? I'm looking for specifics. Does your car detonate at all? Do you have a custom chip?

I can get a deal($50) on a timing retard but was thinking it would be wasted when I go to get a chip burnt.

I'd like to know what you guys have so I can use that info to screw around with mine alittle more.

I had less fuel pressure(35) but I felt I needed more and thought 45 psi would be about right... that was too rich but was better(less detonation) so I backed it off some(39). It still detonates but not as bad as 35 psi.

Thanks for any info..

------------------
Rick
My 89lx(updated 11/5/2000)
My 97 Cobra
Old 01-27-2001, 06:43 PM   #2
Mont
Registered Member

I went with a chip and I hated it. Go with a MSD6-BTM or the crane HI-6TRC. These have a detonation protection, it shuts off every other injector so you won't hurt anything. (hopefully) I sent my fuel at 40 with a FMU.
plugs are hard to talk about because theres so many and heat types. I run the cheap Autolites. I found that any of the splitfire or any of the other like this makes my set up run like sh*t. just my 2c

------------------
89 LX Supercharged DSS 357, 11 lbs Powerdyne, Downs Box intake, ported GT-40x heads, lockwired, Crane Cam 1.6 rockers, Crower cam, Oil cooler, Moroso oil evac kit, Taylor 10mm wires, MAC 70mm T/B, 30lb injectors, Vortech fuel rails, Pro M 75mm Mass air, Vortech T-Rex Fuel pump, 255lph intank pump, K&N, Cobra R radiator MSD6-BTM, Lakewood bellhousing, Tremec Trans, Pro 5.0 shifter, MAC headers and X-pipe, Dynomax race mufflers. Dyno at 556hp to the wheels.
Mont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 10:25 PM   #3
rbatson

You hated the custom chip? Why??
Old 01-29-2001, 03:21 PM   #4
SLOWPONY
Registered Member

Put your base timming at 10 degrees, and leave the fuel pressure at 45. Try a colder plug a NGK FR5 is factory for that, so try a Autolite 3923, it is 1 step colder if that dosen't work try a NGK r5671-7 plug. I run 12psi with no retard or FMU with 36lbs injectors. Maybe your injectors aren't big enough.
SLOWPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 06:42 PM   #5
MOUSETRAP
Registered Member

Talking

Well i ran 12.0 at 115 with my A-trim before upgrading with about 9#'s of boost at 5200, race weight at 3300# with me. Here is my set-up:
-base timing at 15-16 degrees, take extra out via BTM if you get it...it helps alot. With the timing up that high, you have an awesome bottom end and yet still retain great topend as boost comes in.
-TPS to 1.1-1.2 volts, key on car off
-I don't have a fuel gauge that i can watch under boost but i think it is still set at 43#'s at no vacuum
I ran the autolite 23's, one step colder
No chip and have FMU, i think 8:1 for 24# injectors?? Can't remember but it is the right one.
As long as i ran 93 and not crappy "supposed" to be 93 i never got detonation. I ran it this way at the track too. You might think the TPS should be below 1 volt but trust me, it seems the higher i put mine as well as my boss(March issue of 5.0, "Trading Places") does, the better our cars run.
Hope this helps.
Oh and yes the MSD BTM is worth it, other wise you have to leave your stock timing down so it won't advance too much topend and induce detontation.
Jarrod

------------------

87GT Vortech S-trim, 155intank pump, 24# injectors, 75mm pro-m, cobra intake, exhaust, 3.73's, mega bite jr's, Central coastal mustangs drag springs and some other freebies.
MOUSETRAP is offline   Reply With Quote