MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Special Production
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-13-2006, 08:12 PM   #1
monroegt
Registered Member

Default cobra conversion

Hey guys I have a 2000 gt and was thinking about the 03/04 motor swap. But I can't find any deals on this motor. Another idea I had was building a motor d.s.s short block , patriot heads, and a saleen supercharger. This is a good possibility in what I might choose. But I was wondering how had it is two convert a 1999-2002 cobra engine into a 03/04. I know obviously the supercharger,belt, and intercooler. But if anyone knows what it takes or what road I should take it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Monroe GT
monroegt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:34 AM   #2
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Default Re: cobra conversion

If you're looking to go all the way, try Ford Racing's 2003 SVT Cobra engine assembly. It comes with everything right down to the oil pan, but the supercharger is not included. Installing that Eaton 4V supercharger is a huge job too, I found a manual on doing it and it was 5 pages long. You can get the engine from CJ Pony Parts, they also have the 2003 Mach 1 engine assembly. My 2001 GT to 2004 Cobra conversion is complete except for the engine and tranny (and suede seats) I figured I buy the stuff from Ford and see what I can do with jack stands and an engine crane, worst case I could just take everything over to Ford and have them do it.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

That engine by the way brand new is about $5800.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:31 PM   #4
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

The '02 Cobra engine has the same valves, fuel injection and horsepower but with a different factory supercharger. The 6-speed tranny also provides the 03 Cobra with more power because the gears are smaller and generate more power. I did'nt read your post thoroughly enought the first time. Eaton makes an aftermarket supercharger for 99-04 GT and 99-02 Cobra engines..I'm not sure what model or if theres' a difference between the two but you can find info about them from the company that makes them for Ford.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:14 PM   #5
monroegt
Registered Member

Where did you get the complete 03/04 engine for that price?
monroegt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:00 AM   #6
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

CJ Pony Parts, out of Harrisburg, PA. NOT complete though, missing the Eaton M112 supercharger. The engine obviously is functional without it though...Keep in mind that it is remanufactured, but built to Ford's specific guidelines and also comes with the same warranty. Don't be afraid of the word 'remanufactured' though, I know someone who bought the 2003 Mach 1 engine assembly from them and its not only held out as it should, she told me it performed just as well as a Mach 1 right off the production line. They also come in engine/transmission packages.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
GodStang
College Stanger

I know this is old but an 03-04 Cobra engine is not the way to go. It has WAY too many problems from the factory and the weight really hurts it. Also there was never a 2002 Cobra in the US so saying the valves are the same and HP are the same is totally wrong. It takes alot to put an Eaton on another engine that it is not designed for also the N/A engines run high compression which are not boost friendly. So problems with blowing the engine happen alot. Your best bet would be to add a supercharger to your engine that is made for it or Sell your GT and buy an 03-04 Cobra. buy the time you pay for the engine and install and tune you would have a great payment on an 03 and not have to worry about problems from swaps.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:54 AM   #8
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

If you can't afford the eaton powered 4.6 check out some other options:

www.karkraft.com
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:10 PM   #9
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

I meant '01, not '02. But the throttle bore, intake manifold and valves for what I've heard are the same, only with a different supercharger attached. Eaton's series 4 supercharger will fit any naturally aspirated 2V or 4V V8, depending on the model. But how can you BLOW one of those motors??..That I think would take an awful lot of abuse. I myself actually decided against this engine recently, after learning more about Saleen and Vortech's superchargers...What it is is a nice-looking engine, but I think what makes it popular in real Cobras' is the rest of the set-up...larger rotors, independant suspension and of course the 6-speed transmission. I just spent $6,000 making my GT LOOK like one of these...now I've decided the freaking car is fast ENOUGH, I don't race anyway.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: