MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Special Production
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-10-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
98mustangcobra
Registered Member

Exclamation Any Ideas For Cheap HP For a 98 Cobra?

I have a 1998 Mustang Cobra and i am looking for more things to do that will give me Max Hp Gain for the least amount of money. I already have air intake, throddle body spacer, under drive pulleys, programed, heads ported and pollished, racing pistons rods and Crank, Cams, Headers, Offroad X-pipe, Boost Cooler, Hp Chip,and injectors. Im looking for more ideas that are on the cheaper side with a good HP gain.

It would be great to hear some ideas.

Thanks and have a great day.

I not looking for Turbo's or superchargers. ( NO NOS i dont like it)
98mustangcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:43 AM   #2
The Deuce
Registered Member

Default Re: Any Ideas For Cheap HP For a 98 Cobra?

I doubt you've done any of that besides maybe a CAI. If you had, you wouldn't be asking for "cheap" extra hp anymore.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:52 AM   #3
Jeff Chambers

I'd have to agree. He's all over the other forums asking for input on all these things he says he has. If he has all this an is only 307hp as he says, then somebodies making some real good money at his expense.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
98mustangcobra
Registered Member

Ok First of all my reason for listing the Mods were not ones i already have on my car. They are items i have already looked at and thinking to buy. I listed them because if i did not then all i would get for a reply for cheap HP is Cold Air Intake which i already have and some of the other little things i had on the list and i want to find out new things. I am getting all that on my car or most of it and i am looking for more HP still and i do not feel like spending a lot more money than i already am on everything else. And 307 HP is what my car has STOCK as said. right now it might be sitting around 320 - 330HP But that is cause i am just getting ready to but the things i have listed on there within this month. Thanks and have a great day.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
The Deuce
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Chambers View Post
I'd have to agree. He's all over the other forums asking for input on all these things he says he has. If he has all this an is only 307hp as he says, then somebodies making some real good money at his expense.
Haha, seriously Jeff.

This kid should drive down to his nearest Mustang builder, hand him $10k and say, "Make it fast. I'll be back later." that would be his best bang for the buck.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:38 PM   #6
98mustangcobra
Registered Member

Arrow Re: Any Ideas For Cheap HP For a 98 Cobra?

sorry i make the final choice on my mods and i dont get ripped off i know people that can get the parts and install for cheap so ill stick with around $6000 you can pay $10000 if you would like.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:11 PM   #7
The Deuce
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98mustangcobra View Post
sorry i make the final choice on my mods and i dont get ripped off i know people that can get the parts and install for cheap so ill stick with around $6000 you can pay $10000 if you would like.
You missed the point completely.

If you buy the stuff you're talking about all over this board, you ARE going to waste your money. You'd be better off just letting someone who has a clue make your car fast. I've seen zero actual knowledge about going fast in your posts.

Why not tell the class what you end goal for the car is, and ask for advice on how to get there? Here's a hint though, you're not going to break 400 hp n/a with a driveable 4.6 DOHC motor.

Old 02-10-2007, 05:49 PM   #8
98mustangcobra
Registered Member

Exclamation Re: Any Ideas For Cheap HP For a 98 Cobra?

Well im looking to get my car to 500Hp - 600Hp
Also i know an 02 LS1 with the same basic things im getting but LESS and he has proof. A DYNO sheet showing he has 635 HP. Stock Block.
And a 5.0 with around 450 HP
Both Have no Superchargers or Turbo's

Ok. About my past. I am not that so to say smart on these different things that is why i have been asking all things on these boards. I have raced over 70 people all on the street in the past say 5-6 months. I have lost about 5 races because of people with alot more power than me or with NOS. I have only got my car because it is close to stock i have only hit like 140 - 145. That was the fastest so far which i want to go alot faster. I have to get the rods and pistons because I threw a rod and it messes up alot of things when that happens. So i am getting a kit so i will also have a new Crank and all of them hold 1000+ Hp. And while the engine is pulled i will be putting on the headers. Then while im at it i will get the offroad x-pipe and mufflers. All Bassani. Also i am getting the Heads Ported and Pollished because of having them off and it help with HP gain. Then last i am getting Under Drive Pulleys. Because it give a little Horsepower and i have heard it is a good item to get. It free's up HP.
The Rest of the things i am getting i will be waiting until later because they dont need the engine apart to install. or the engine pulled. So The Costly Things i am gettting are because of taking the engine apart to fix the Rods and Pistons and Crank. That is a lot of money and it has been taking me awhile to save. I still dont have all the money. So This is why i am looking for Cheap HP. And I will later on in a year get a SuperCharger or a Twin Turbo. But i can not spend that kind of money now.

So is there anything that you can help me out with to get to my goal HP? Without spend TOO much more than i already will be. Thanks and have a great day.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #9
Jeff Chambers

I would really suggest that you pick up some good books on how an internal combustion engine works and study it well. An LS1 has a selection of heads and cams that flow circles around anything available for your 98 Cobra. Not to mention the displacement factor. If you want that kind of horsepower, its going to cost you serious $$$. The sooner you face that fact, the sooner you can concentrate your time and money on reasonable goals. You've got to set reasonable goals, otherwise you'll wind up dissatisfied with your project with no one to blame but yourself. An engine is an air pump, that's all it is. Volume in, volume out, hopefully extracting a fair amount of horsepower in between. I really, really suggest that you seek out a reputable shop in your area that can help you make the decisions. Find someone trust worthy, then trust what they say. Forget about most of what you read on this site or any other, and work directly with a shop that has a genuine interest in helping you reach your goals.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"

Last edited by Jeff Chambers; 02-11-2007 at 07:13 PM..
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #10
goodyear1984
Registered Member

dude a Ls1 is no where compaired to ur 4.6..first of all is a pushrod motor ...they come with 10-1 compressin from the factory...i hate saying it cuz im a ford guy till the day i die but the Ls1 is a fantastic motor.check out http://www.neweraperformanceparts.com my good friends brother owns it...i hate thoes engines lol cuz u can put one of his custom cams in and a good dyno tune and ur at or over 400hp and low 12 to high 11'S.....i dont like to say it but its a very good job by chevy.he also sells mustang parts
347 stroker all forged,arp everything,stud mains w/girdle,7qt pan,full roller, custom cam, aluminum heads swirl valves 5 angle valve job.quick fuel 750,areomotive pump,cobras w/nitto drags,and m/t et drags for the track, ford racing 373 gears,centerforce clutch,tko500,underdrive pulleys,bassani x-pipe,flowmasters
^best et so far 11.6 1.61 60ft coming soon 9sec et's
1992 mustang gt
2001 gmc 1500 4x4
78 century boat
92 skidoo
goodyear1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:21 AM   #11
DaLe five OH!
Registered Member

very easy quote to remember..."theres no replacement for displacment" i'm looking for around 350hp n/a, but i have a 302
Old 05-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #12
bmxmon
Registered Member

Sounds like you have the "cheap" mods covered. (exhaust and intake) I believe your next step would be cams and a supercharger or turbo. You really gotta blow alot of air into those things to get them to go. With a supercharger those things sound pretty nasty.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: