MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Special Production
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-06-2000, 10:00 PM   #1
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Post Fake Cobras

Some say imitation is the highest form of flatery, but it really anoys me when I see a fake Cobra driving around, even if it is a fast car.

How do you guys feel about it?
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2000, 11:28 PM   #2
fixer
Registered Member

faked out GT'S are way more common in my area, but essentially the same breed of cat.
i've seen many people go all out; 17 inch wheels, the gt wing, fog lights, a real gt badge, dual exhaust; all this and a 3.8 is hiding under the hood.
my feeling is its an invitation for endless harassment and a never ending string of losses at the light. but to each his own.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2000, 10:16 AM   #3
KenI
Registered Member

I get guys in 96+ Cobras accusing me of drive a fake all the time. Mine is a 95 and so it dosn't say COBRA on the bumber so it must be a fake. Oh, well. I kind of get a chuckle out of it. The gays that say these things are such the defenders of the bread but they don't even know enough to id. the bread. Sorry, I was ranting again.

Back to the post... I've seen a few V-6s running around here with all the Cobra emblems on them. My only complaint about it is that they are slow and may give Cobras a bad reputation for being slow.

------------------
------------------
95 Blown Cobra
#83 of 4005
------------------
KenI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2000, 10:27 AM   #4
97snakedriver
Registered Member

93-95 Cobras though a lot of people off. They are quite a bit different then the GTs if you know what to look for.

I like that "Mustang" bumper too. Most fakers miss that.
Old 07-07-2000, 12:08 PM   #5
fixer
Registered Member

right! the bumper is the dead give away because most people won't go so far as to replace that part of the car.
and KEN1 is right; fake-out do give the car a bad rep. I was on a Toyota Tacoma site and some turkey was claiming he knocked off a GT with his TRD Prerunner. Everyone else on the site knew better, but this guy was convinced.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2000, 03:00 PM   #6
Rebel79
News Editor

I hate Posers..... fake snakes and fake saleens.....

I started a discussion at Mustangworld about this and I got flamed!

Making your Mustang look like something that it is not is a terrible thing to do. However combining models, such as Stalker front bumper and Saleen wing make a good combo.

I have only been accused of driving a fake snake ONCE, and I chewed that guy out! I occasionally will see LXs pose as GT's but there is a guy driving a black SN95 LX and poses it as a Cobra!

Once I encountered a guy that claimed he had a Cobra... he had the bumpers and rims.... I asked him to open the hood and he did not... Also ran into a fellow that clamed to have a 94 Cobra.... he had the Cobra intake and valve covers but forgot a couple of things that I pointed out... such as the Brake booster, the certificate on the valve covers, and the steering wheel still said Mustang.

------------------
www.SN95.com
1994 Mustang Cobra
308ci, ported heads, Crane 2031 cam, Vortech S-trim 11#, FMS 1 5/8 headers, BBK Offroad H-pipe, 2-chamber flows, and several other goodies.
Rebel Racing. Home of Bay Area Mustangs
Rebel79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2000, 03:27 PM   #7
S Howard
Registered Member

Cool

As far as imposters go, I did give some thought to doing the cobraizing to my V6, but why?? Why advertise?? When I drop in the 302, imagine the surprise of the guy who gets the view of my rear bumper that reads 'Mustang'. A much more appealing avenue. BTW my thanks to those guys that are cobraizing, the GT parts have become so CHEAP!
S Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2000, 10:45 PM   #8
97snakedriver
Registered Member

93 fakers are the best. "What do you mean that snake is pointing the wrong-wrong way?"

A friend of mine who is a developing car fan was convinced his neighbor had a Cobra as he claimed. I took one lap around it. Pointed out: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, mistakes. The guy was pissed. My friend was surprised.

Old 07-10-2000, 02:26 PM   #9
snakeskin
Registered Member

Exclamation

can you guys help me?! I currently own a 99 SVT contour and this Wed. I will be purchaseing a 1995 cobra! rio red with 50k on it. the car has a cloth interior. and is in great shape!!!
what I was wondering is - how can I tell if it is a true cobra or just a good immatation? it has all the badgeing, white gadgues, the rims, and the mustang rear bumper.
Thanx
snakeskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2000, 03:52 PM   #10
KenI
Registered Member

Check the VIN @ http://www.sn95.com/vin.htm

------------------
------------------
95 Blown Cobra
#83 of 4005
------------------
KenI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2000, 04:44 PM   #11
snakeskin
Registered Member

Wink

hey thanx! It turns out that the car is a true cobra!!!!!!
thanx again,
snakeskin
snakeskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2000, 02:32 PM   #12
Red Rocket
Registered Member

I must admit, after owning a few GT's and owning this Cobra, the Cobra definitly has a unique look.

Although it wouldn't be extremely difficult to change any mustang into a Cobra clone, it's a bit more costly with 96 and up because of the hood. However, I do admire those people that do wish to build their own Cobra engine for scraps or even install a Cobra engine in a GT. It does take a lot of effort.

BUT, after owning this Cobra, I must admit being a little more impatient with cocky, faux Cobra owners than in the past. Well, at least the ones that boast it's a Cobra, but when racin' can't get out it's shadow!
There's a reason Ford only makes 10,000 Cobra's a year. And say 500,000 or whatever the number of GT's and V6's.

Mine's legit. That's all I need to worry about.

------------------
1996 Laser Red Cobra. 12.64@106.1 mph; 1.92 60 ft. I keep racin' it, and it keeps getting faster!(It's still a heavy beast)
Red Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 07:12 PM   #13
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Smile

well well some97snake!!! Little did I know I would come across this post from you, my VT buddy! YOu may not see it considering it is so old, but lordy! Now I know what you think about my 98 v6 cobra fake! www.geocities.com/mustangbelle_306/v6cobra.html. Well, I think you guys take it way too personally. I was 17 with a dorky v6 that I least tried to make look nice, and never once denied it was a silly 3.8L. It was just fun! Not all of us can afford the real thing, so why dont you give us a break, and just get your kicks from smoking us? Maybe that will make you feel better

------------------
Elisha (Mustang Chick Extraordinaire)
1994 GT/Saleen: GT-40 intake,4.10s, full exhaust, pulleys.
Sold the 1986 LX sedan
http://www.geocities.com/mustangbelle_306
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 12:47 AM   #14
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Wink

Now, now, don't take the rants too seriously. It kinda like this one guy I came across. He had a 94 GT, with the GT front bumper, rear bumper, GT wheels, and one Cobra badge on the driver's side, facing the wrong way, and was claiming it to be a production Cobra. He even raised the hood and sure enough, it was stone stock GT. Nothing is wrong with having a V6, or a GT for that matter, but why lie about something that doesn't matter in the first place? V6, GT, Cobra, Saleen, Roush, Steeda, it's all the same. I say educate the masses, and let them do with it what they may.

------------------
The Black Mamba 11.2@124
94 Cobra- MAC cold air fender kit, Motorsport underdrive pulley's, MAC 21/2" off-road H pipe, SVO mufflers, 3.73 gears, E-303 cam, 13.417@101.335mph
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 03:37 PM   #15
cobrayankee
Registered Member

Lightbulb

I'm gonna go against the norm here. I am going to strip my car down of all Cobra fascia and rebuild the body to look like an SN-95 V-6 body. I'll make them look good for a while and also get some good laughs from all the GT/Cobra/SS/WS6 owners that I dust.

------------------
1997 Cobra (Black on black), C+L 80mm MAF, K+N filter, Pro 5.0 shifter, BBK Springs, Taylor Wires, 2 Chamber Flows, ASP Pulleys, BBK off road H pipe.
cobrayankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #16
invsn
Registered Member

Default Re: Fake Cobras

I have a "fake Cobra". 03 GT.. supercharged cammed intercooled, ported upper plenum, 42lb injectors.. and tons more. I'd like to see a 03 or an 04 cobra to call me out on this so i can smoke them. No hate.. im just saying. if you have the power to compete and back it up.. i dont see the problem.

520HP

drag times 1/4 mile.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...n/Tasca115.jpg

DSC00309.jpg picture by invsn - Photobucket
invsn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: