MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-17-2001, 02:11 PM   #1
SPEEDY88
Registered Member

Question is this normal?

I recently cut the cats of the x-pipe and now it tends to blow a little bit of smoke throught the pipes. Is this normal??? I also have a strong odor of smoke, does this bother you guys that have the offroad h-pipe or x-pipe???? I don't like the fact that when I use the car I get down with the smell of smoke. What are your thoughts? It tends to let out smoke when I take off and when I am slowing down to a stop. Is this also normal??? I love the sound it piked up without the cats.....please respond

------------------
88GT-Bassani X-pipe,Two chamber flowmasters,3:73 gears, King Cobra clutch, Steeda clutch quadrant, pro 5.0, K&N, Hypertech chip, Underdrive Pulleys,High Volume oil pump....ALL POWERED BY MY FOOT!!!
SPEEDY88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 04:45 PM   #2
poopstang
Registered Member

get used to it, i smell like gas every time i get out of my ride, i can't go through drive throughs anymore because i'll die of suffacation(spelling?)i also have a cam(that doesn't help)and when you smash the pedal, the mixture goes rich. when your rich, dark smoke comes out the pipes, specially when there are no cats.
poopstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 05:45 PM   #3
slider
Registered Member

get used to it? maybe there's another way?

anyone with good ideas?

i would love to know how to fx this
slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 07:05 PM   #4
SPEEDY88
Registered Member

thank god I am not the only one with this problem.....should I put the cats back on? would this be the only way to fix the problem? I hope not because I have had a lot of compliments on how my car sounds....It does sound awfully mean!!!! Thanks for all the help you guys hav given me you are not taken for granted..SPEEDY
SPEEDY88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 03:17 PM   #5
Godslayer
Registered Member

I have an offroad H on my car and I have never had burnt smoke smells or gas smells coming from my exhaust. Sounds like maybe the car is not in a proper state of tune. Pull the plugs and see what they look like. I've always kept my car in really good tune and never had any smoke or fumes, even when accelerating hard or slowing down abruptly. Never a backfire either. The car has 110k and only uses about a quart between oil changes. Although a little black smoke when getting on it hard is normal, I wouldn't worry about that.

------------------
87 GT
Full exhaust, K&N, KB Subs, BBK STB, homeade dumps...

87 Taurus
New York
Winters Bite!

Godslayer is offline   Reply With Quote