MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-04-2002, 08:06 AM   #1
porkster
Registered Member

Default rpm hangs between gears

I just bought my first Mustang. 2002 coupe, 5 speed.
This will be easier to explain with an example. When I am in 2nd gear, getting ready to shift into third, my rpms may be about 3500. When I push in the clutch, the rpm hangs up there at 3500. If I hold the clutch in long enough, it will come down to idle. But when shifting at a normal rate, it stays up there. So when I shift into third and begin to release the clutch, the rpms are still high and it bucks, unless I really feather the clutch - almost like double clutching.

It does this between all gears. This was just an example. Is this normal or is there something wrong? Thanks for any help!
porkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 01:04 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I've noticed that my '00 GT also takes a lot longer for the revs to drop when you push in the clutch than in my 5.0s. It's always done this since it was new. Not sure if it is normal.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 01:42 PM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Mine has done similar things since the blower install.

A couple of possibilities....
Try clearing your computer by taking the battery cable off for about 10 minutes.... Then go drive the crap out of it for about 20 minutes so it can "re-learn"... See if that helps.

Also see if its a cold\winter air thing, does it happen when the engine is at operating temps?
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 03:02 PM   #4
porkster
Registered Member

I am in Florida, so the weather isnt (usually) cold. But yes, it does it when the engine is cold and warm - all the time. The car is brand new, under 200 miles on it, so I cant "drive the crap out of it " YET. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2002, 09:29 PM   #5
silverv6
Registered Member

YOu problably should just take it to the dealer instead since its still under warranty
Is your car v6? well if it is this is just a guess ok well my car as a limiter wich it cant go pass the 115mph. Also I think theirs one on the RPM's <<<<<< Im not sure but it maybe that.

P.s.

Take it to the dealer and like its under warranty still u wont get charged nothing

Thats my best advise

Last edited by silverv6; 01-06-2002 at 09:34 PM..
silverv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 09:32 PM   #6
silverv6
Registered Member

Is your car a V6????

K&N filter<<<< cut filter box out

waiting for my MAC Cold Air Induction and BBK Throttle body <<<< still havent arrived yet
silverv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 06:57 AM   #7
porkster
Registered Member

Yes it is a V6.
Old 01-11-2002, 05:34 PM   #8
95GTS
Git jiggy

I don't know about the V6s but the all the V8s since 96 hang in the rpm's till after you shift and let out. From what I was told it has to do with the way the computer is programmed for emissions. I wish I could remember exactly what Ford told me but that's the explaination I received. Something about the motor staying up in the revs with reduced emissions. Nothing wrong with it. Just annoying. Put in a K&N filter and it'll drop a little quicker. At least it did in my 96 GTS. Not much but a little bit quicker drop.
Old 01-15-2002, 12:05 PM   #9
GCMustang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 96GTS
I don't know about the V6s but the all the V8s since 96 hang in the rpm's till after you shift and let out. From what I was told it has to do with the way the computer is programmed for emissions. I wish I could remember exactly what Ford told me but that's the explaination I received. Something about the motor staying up in the revs with reduced emissions. Nothing wrong with it. Just annoying. Put in a K&N filter and it'll drop a little quicker. At least it did in my 96 GTS. Not much but a little bit quicker drop.
Although it is just hearsay, I have heard the same thing you did. The computer keeps the revs from dropping quickly so that the engine can burn off unburned fuel that remains in the port from high rev-WOT application. Supposedly it reduces emissions. I don't mind it, and haven't come across the bucking that porkster experienced. If anything, it keeps the motor from bogging between shifts. Might be a clutch adjustment in your future?

-SamP, BSME-

~1998 Mustang GT~ - Saleen Body Kit, Cobra R wheels (17x10.5 w/ 315/35 in rear and 17x8 w/ 245/45 out front), 3.27 gears, FMS C Springs. . . Waiting for income tax check to do 99PI headswap!
RateMyStang
GCMustang is offline   Reply With Quote