MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-17-2001, 03:25 AM   #1
Vector
Registered Member

Smile Stupid question needs answer :)

Hey there, this may sound like a stupid question but here goes:

What is the difference between GT and LX? They look different is about all I can tell, with the GT having ground effects. Isn't the engine exactly the same in both cars? I'm asking mainly about the late 80s early 90s models. Thanks!
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 09:02 AM   #2
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

LX is lighter, not as loaded as the GT. You are right about the ground effects. They are more ideal for drag racing due to the lighter weight...about 150-160 lbs lighter.

------------------
Dustin
Saleenized 89 GT,428 rwhp,TFS Street Heat Intake,TFS TW Heads,TFS #2 cam,BD-11A 9 psi,FRPP 1.6 rr's,BBK 70mm TB,Pro-M 75mm Bullet,MSD 6BTM, FMS 9mm wires,BBK longtubes,BBK Short H-pipe,American Thunder cat back,3.55's

12.3@119

http://www.mustangworks.com/rides/pictures/Listing1549-slot1.jpg
SaleenGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 10:32 AM   #3
stevstum
Registered Member

Cool

Also the GT has 308 gears and the LX has 273s.

------------------
Steve Stumbaugh

89 LX 5.0 5sp.
Removed air silencer
Motorcraft 8mm wires
Autolite platinum plugs
BBK O/R h-pipe

stevstum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 11:27 AM   #4
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

Both a 5sp GT and LX came with 2.73 gears, unless you have the gear option...

Both a GT and LX with AOD's have 3.08 gears unless the car has the gear option, giving it 3.27 gears...

the GT just has more options in it and available for it... plus the side skirts and added weight...

Phantom

------------------
CHECK OUT MY MODS

http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?1350
Phantom5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 12:50 PM   #5
bada$$lx

Cool

Remember, there's no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people !

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads; BBK shorties; MSD 6AL box w/ blaster 2 coil; Motorsport E303 cam; Pro-M 75mm MAF; BBK 70mm TB; Eibach spring kit; Southside welded subs; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; fiberglass turbo hood; A/C-less; rear seat-less; cat-less; 2 chamber Flos; Corbeau racing seats (fronts);
30# injectors; JMS Chip; 190 lb fp; TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113)
Old 07-17-2001, 02:12 PM   #6
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb

There has always been some confusion regarding the difference between the LX and GT Mustangs, so your question is not 'stupid', at all.

The GT has the obvious plastic ground effects and assorted badges and that is about it. The 5.0 engines are absolutely identical in every way in both GT and LX. The weight difference is minimal on the GT and of course, the rear axle ratios have been discussed already.
Most Mustangs from the 1987-93 era have the 2.73/3.08 ratio...the door tag (look under 'AX') will tell you what rear gears any specific Mustang came with.

The LX is preferred by some as it was available in the lighter 'sedan' style and weighs a bit less, but others swear by the GT. It's just a matter of personal choice.
Neither model has a big advantage over the other except in weight, price difference and possible insurance cost difference, depending on the company.

I bought my '90 LX new. Cheaper, lighter and no plastic effects to crack and fade.
But that's just one persons opinion.
As Dennis Miller says: "Hey, I could be wrong".
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 02:23 PM   #7
jimberg
Registered Member

If I remember correctly, the difference was about $4000 dollars.

The GT came standard with options such as cruise control, power lumbar, power mirrors and power windows. The ground effects allowed for fog lights. It's been 12 years since I bought mine, so there may be more. The seats may be different. Jim can probably answer that. Did the LX come with an adjustable thigh support?

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 03:18 PM   #8
Coupe Devil

I must add one change to Phantom5oh's selection. My '90 came factory w/ 5.0, Aod and 2:73 gears. I don't know if it was some kind of gear option but thats what it was.

jimberg - the thigh support was an option on the lx's. Fortunatley mine came full loaded like the gt minus the ground effects. It was an 25th anniversay car though, would that make a difference?

------------------
'93 lx 4 banger, wrecked '90 lx 5.0, w/ t-5. .030 over fully ported and polihed (did that just to see if I could-first attempt at it). Motor and tranny in use for Ranger project.

Cocked, locked and ready to rock

Pony Power Forever
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 04:24 AM   #9
Vector
Registered Member

My step mom has a '91 LX Convertible, special edition (white top, red body, leather interior). It has all the options I believe, power everything, automatic.

Another thing I've noticed is some extra badging on some cars, for example you might see 5.0 displayed on the dash, but in her mustang there is nothing except the horse (even though it's a 5 litre engine). Is this the extra badging you were talking about?
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote