MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-25-2003, 03:02 AM   #1
thdrcat
Registered Member

Default speedy density to mass air questions

howdy all. now that i am out of paramedic school i should have a shitload more time to throw at my 87 GT. It has been my policy to only replace things that are broken, but to replace them with better things. I.E. my fan broke, so i bought a flex fan. My alternator went out, so i replaced it with a 130 amp SN95 alt.

i grew tired of not being able to shift into second, so i tore down the transmission and assuming i get my new travel indicator in the mail, the transmission will be restored in a few days. Today i went out to try to start the car and low and behold, after sitting for only 2 months (covered), the motor is froze up. After much cursing and such i was able to use a big *** cheater bar on the balancer to break it. The thing started fine, but has the worst case of surging throttle etc.

i hit the books and decided it was time to mass air the thing. Here (after all that reading) is the problem:

the punk that owned the poor car before me had some strange ideas what "perfomance mods" were. The vapor canister and most of the thermitractor are long gone. (the pipes are plugged with duct tape...). I have obtained a harness and A9L computer. upon reading the manual, i was not so pleased to find that half the sensors it asked for are missing from my car. My questions is what, if any, sensors can i live without. In other words if it is a sensor that the computer will use data from to make the car run, i want it. i do not want things that are emmissions only. any help? can i lose the air pump? what about the whole EGR mess? what if any repacussions am i looking at if i disable the EGR? what gains?(hp)

I know this is a stretch, but i think its worth a shot. if there is anyone out there who understands EFI and more specificly EEC-IV and has a lil time to spare, i would like to arrange a phone converstation where i can ask better questions. pmesg me if you are willing to donate a lil time and we will work it out. I of course would pay the phone charges.
thdrcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 06:03 PM   #2
stang_racer20
Registered Member

as for the sensors i would put all back in personally, the computer uses many of them to run your engine. which ones, i couldnt tell ya exactly. as for the air pump, it can be lost by simply removing it and the tubing to the h-pipe. make sure to weld the holes closed in the h-pipe. however, you will need a new belt for it. the egr is also pretty much for emissions too but i'm not positive if it plays a role in idle or throttle response at all. you might be able to get away running without it if you get a new chip programmed for no egr and no air pump either. hope this helps a little bit.
stang_racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 08:16 PM   #3
thdrcat
Registered Member

yes it did. i was just wanting someone else to say air pump. right now i have no cats, so eh?

it is all the vapor canister and egr stuff im worried about.
thdrcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 09:20 PM   #4
billheis
Registered Member

Hey Robby, Yeah you can get awy without the air pump stuff and all the EGR solenoid and stuff. You really wont gain any performance per se. but it sure does clean up the engine bay. The reason most guys take it off is because when it malfunctions the car runs like junk. I took mine off when it started to go and didn't want tospend the money on new. Anyway having the EGR stuff unhook and the electrical stuff to it unplugged will turn the check eng light on. You will need coolant, act (air temp), map or vacuum sensor ( it becomes a baro sensor when converted to MAF),TPS that the minimum but I would at tleast hook up the fuel vapor line and connector. I send you a private message too.
Bill
90 Convertable 5.0 LX, ported E7s w/ THumper valve job, TFS street, FR 65mm TB, B cam w/1.7 cobra rockers, kirban AFPR, Mac CAI, Mac Headers, off road h, 3 chamber flows, Crane ign. box, 3:73s, Art Carr AOD & 2600 converter
billheis is offline   Reply With Quote