MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Special Production
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-03-2004, 03:41 PM   #1
03_Boosted_Snake
Registered Member

Default Tranny grinding going into fourth gear.

I have a 2003 Cobra that has about 20,000 miles on it and just recently noticed that when I shift into 4th gear I have some gear grindage going on. Has any one else experienced this? Also I am looking for a stock gear shift that I can throw in so I can take this to the dealer and have them look at it without pointing to the Steda shifter that is currently installed.
03_Boosted_Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 04:44 PM   #2
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Default Re: Tranny grinding going into fourth gear.

That happened all the time with my 96 GT before I sold it, see it was the first Mustang I owned, and at age 19 I tended to beat on it pretty bad. Pretty soon the clutch was catching very high and I was always hitting a real bad grind on all gears. It could mean your clutch pedal isn't completely separating the plates when its' depressed before the stick shifts thru..or it could be a transmission problem that has nothing to do with the clutch. I'd go to your personal mechanic and then to Delta. Try Ebay Motors for the stock shifter.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
chargedup
Registered Member

Default Re: Tranny grinding going into fourth gear.

You probably have a bad syncronizer in 4th.I'm a tech at a ford dealership and there has been a service message craked case to.I have 2 stock shifters.But most dealerships don't care about short throw shifers being installed.

kevin
chargedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 11:27 AM   #4
03_Boosted_Snake
Registered Member

Red face Re: Tranny grinding going into fourth gear.

And now for the rest of the story,. Took her into the local SVT dealership and yep sure enough they said the syncros were bad. They order up a new transmission and it goes in on Monday. So I will soon be ready to hit those gear again.
03_Boosted_Snake is offline   Reply With Quote