MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Power Adders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-19-2005, 10:12 PM   #1
Mustangty
Rag-top Mustang

Default 2005 added power

What brand of Cold air induction is the best for the 2005 Mustang GT? And should I have it dynode or a predator unit and do it myself?

What other tips do you have to add power with major engine work.

MustangTy
Mustangty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:47 PM   #2
84gt347
Registered Member

Default Re: 2005 added power

screw the nickel and dime stuff and put on a hellion turbo kit.
All Forced ( one way or another)
84gt347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:48 PM   #3
Simi Stang

Not sure what headers are available for the '05 yet...but I'd recommend getting a K&N air filter at least, or the cold air induction if you want to spend a little more. Headers & a good cat back system from DynoMax or another reputable exhaust company. I don't know which gears come in the rearend of the '05s...but slapping in a set of 3.73 gears would help out a lot. If you still want more...I'd consider a NOS 100 shot, dry nitrous system.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:44 AM   #4
Jenns05Stang
Registered Member

Mustangty,

I would recommend A Twinscrew Supercharger - Whipple, Kenne Bell, Procharger one that is not centrifugal. The stability of a supercharger for increased power with little concern of bottom-end engine rebuilding....well....here is a little snippit from Kenne Bell on the differences in the SCs and their boost scales...

"All supercharger require you use the highest octane fuel available. 92 octane should be adequate for any 5-6psi kit. 8psi centrifugal kits are promoted by dealers and performance shops as they tend to develop a little more boost in the low to mid range than 5-6psi centrifugal kits. However, ignition timing must be retarded. That is why 8 psi kits from all the various kit suppliers include an ignition system and an ignition retard - which "retards" timing and, of course, reduces horsepower and performance. NOTE: If advancing timing improves performance (up to 16 degrees) retarding timing conversely hurts performance. In fact, what you gain from 2psi (20-25hp) is lost by retarding timing 4-6 degrees. The Kenne Bell 6psi kits actually outperform the centrifugal 8psi kits because of higher boost at any rpm and more boost at the shifts. Now we all know that there are ways to run 8psi and higher boost levels with 1.) 24, 30, 35, 40, and 50 lb. injectors, 2.) ultra-high fuel pressure, 3.) lower compression ratios, and/or 4.) higher octane fuel or fuel boosters, but that was not the 92 octane question. Also keep in mind that modifications 1, 2, and 3 are not "50 state legal". Therefore, if your goal is to run 8psi and develop 20-25 additional horsepower with 92 octane fuel, consider adding a can of black bottle 104 brand Octane Booster at $6.00 per tank full. $100.00 for 5000 miles of driving is cheap performance by some standards."...

Also...When Whipple comes out with a Supercharger..I personally prefer their product and the new Kenne Bell is running strong. The inherint safety engineering with these bolt-ons are, in my personal opinion, outstanding. Look for a kit that makes the approriate changes to injectors and includes a handheld tuner. Procharger has this kit available http://www.procharger.com/2005_mustang.shtml
I have read posts on other forums from folks that have used this kit and are "tickled" with the results. This kit requires aftercooling. Aftercooler kits may require hood modification or change out as well.

I have engineering concerns with Turbos and NOS kits unless you are going to functionally re-engineer the engine to ensure that you do not cause a pressure blow in the manifold or cylinders.

As with most modifications to the modulated engine..one at a time is a good rule to go by unless subsequent chages are required to ensure that you do not encounter engine failure, that way if something goes wrong, you pretty much know the cause.

Tuning will be required. I would suggest that due to the EEC-V/PCM table alogoritims you purchase a kit that has a programmer that can upload the appropriate data so that the SC performs as intended.

It will be interesting to see how the new 3V engine manages the increases in power. The new cylinder heads feature two intake valves and one exhaust valve per cylinder. And, although this new 3V system has a SOHC, the addition of variable cam timing should improve modification performance by advancing and retarding the existing cam profile.

The redesigned intake manifold should also accept SCing well. The ports on the 3V are designed and have been machined more like the 4V; in that they are long and slender rather than the round style we are used to with the previous 2V 4.6L.....Without going too nutty here... Ford has accomplished with this 3V intake manifold set-up what the "older" 4V Cobra Intake Manifold Runner Controls did..

Enjoy the modifications, the little engineering in me has a hunch that are going to prove to be phenominal on this engine..

Jennifer

P.S. JBA has a nice set of headers out there...and a nice Bassini X-Pipe would help get all that pressure off the engine....

Last edited by Jenns05Stang; 05-07-2005 at 02:07 AM..
Jenns05Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 04:47 PM   #5
billki
Registered Member

C&L Performance has a nice cold air kit that ships with predator tuner and program for their installation. I just ordered one from Proficient Performance in Irvine Ca for about 75.00 off list price and will update this when I install it. Anytime you can spend some dyno time with a tuner, you can tweak for maximum and as you add other mods, you can retune at will. More and more sights are making programs for specific mods available so you are always in a safe zone, especially with fuel/air ratio. I have used 87, 89, 91 and 92 octane to date in my 2005 GT with standard tune and it seems that with 91,92 octane there is just a tad more punch, MM/FF magazine says that using premium is worth about 5hp with Ford Knock Sensor. I got max benefit from my 84 SVO dyno time by establishing a baseline before any mods and then doing all the recommended mods I could afford and returning to the dyno for tuning. Mods all made a slight difference in feel, especially water/methanol injection (turbo motor) and upon return to dyno, established a baseline that indicated the mods as installed added 77.2 hp peak. After tuning, total was significant at 152.7 hp by adding back more timing and keeping air/fuel ratio under careful control. I have 127,000 miles on the SVO now, nearly 70,000 miles since mods completed and dynoed and no problems at all. So in short, I recommend dyno time when and where you can afford it. :-)