MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Power Adders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-03-2003, 09:22 AM   #1
white91gt
Registered Member

Question 255lph fuel pump install

Just wondering if anyone can answer this question. I have purchased a Walbro 255lph intank pump. The question is how many amps will the stock wiring handle ? According to the Walbro test sheet, this pump will draw 14.5amps at 13.5V at 90psi. Is the stock fuel pump relay circuit of sufficient capacity to provide this amount of power ? I know I can run a separate electrical circuit to the pump, and use a separate relay energized by the stock pump wire, however, if the stock wiring is of sufficient capacity I may just use it.

My car is mostly stock, it has headers, exhaust, and a 5psi Vortech A-trim. I don't foresee the fuel pressure ever reaching 90psi, however, if it does I don't want to be blowing fuses every time.

I know the fuse box has a 15amp fuse labelled as serving the fuel system, but I assume the stock fuel fuel pump relay circuit must have a separate fuse or fusible link, I could be wrong though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
white91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 01:10 PM   #2
stangsrule
Registered Member

I am not sure what year your car is or if you would have the same results as me, but I have been running a Walbro 255 high pressure pump in my 92 GT daily driver with everything else in the electrical system stock, for a couple of years now with no problem...
92GT Lowered with Ebiach's and Koni's, Kenny Brown subframe connectors, lower G-brace and jacking rails. BBK upper and lower control arms, polyurethane bushings all around and Ken Bell blower, ram-air, 80mm mass air, SMC Alky Injection kit, J&S Knock Gaurd, TwEECer RT and a bunch of other stuff!
stangsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 07:39 PM   #3
white91gt
Registered Member

Sorry, the car is a 1991 GT with 20,000 original miles.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:34 PM   #4
white91gt
Registered Member

Hey Stangsrule:

How much boost are you pushing with your KenneBell blower ?

Do you know what your maximum fuel pressure is ? This would help in determining the amp requirements of the fuel pump.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:30 AM   #5
stangsrule
Registered Member

Right now I am pushing around 11 psi but not sure what my fuel pressure is at under boost as my in car gauge was acting up so I removed it to send off to be fixed, I just haven't gotten it sent off yet... And of course I can't read my underhood gauge when driving, sorry I can't be of more help...
92GT Lowered with Ebiach's and Koni's, Kenny Brown subframe connectors, lower G-brace and jacking rails. BBK upper and lower control arms, polyurethane bushings all around and Ken Bell blower, ram-air, 80mm mass air, SMC Alky Injection kit, J&S Knock Gaurd, TwEECer RT and a bunch of other stuff!
Old 08-05-2003, 02:08 AM   #6
speedytang
Registered Member

My relay is rated at 20amps under the drivers seat and I have run the HO255lph pump for years with the problem.
speedytang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 08:01 AM   #7
white91gt
Registered Member

Speedystang:

What mods have you made to your motor ? Are you running a blower ? If so, do you know your fuel pressure ? How much boost, and do you run a FMU ?
Old 08-06-2003, 11:23 AM   #8
stangsrule
Registered Member

white91gt, I really don't think you have anything to worry about, there are a LOT of mustangs running around with 255lph pumps with no problems and worst case if you do have an issue you can tie in a bigger relay and fuse and use the stock signal wire to control it. But I'ld say odds are you will be just fine on the stock stuff.