MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Power Adders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-15-2005, 03:02 PM   #1
gr8pny
Registered Member

Default 95 supercharged 302 heads???

I have a '95, 5.0 all stock except for a paxton supercharger. This was the first generation supercharger..installed in 95-96 when the car was new. What will new heads...specifically AFR 165's do for the HP and Torque. I'm wondering that since the engine has forced induction thru the supercharger...the new heads won't make that much difference.
gr8pny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 03:05 AM   #2
procharge94
Registered Member

Default Re: 95 supercharged 302 heads???

Quite the contrary. The more air flow you provide for that blower, the more power you will see to the wheels. Heads would greatly help, but increasing air flow all the way through the motor would help much more. An intake, heads, and matched cam will really push you through into some very mean performance.

AFR 165's are great for N/A cars, but if you are buying them new, I would shop around for something more 'affordable'. I feel the AFR's are too costly for your current set up. Installing those heads on a completely stock motor is like having the sweet daddy pulsating shower head in your shower, but having incredibly small water lines running to it, if that makes any sense. You have overkill in an area that is just begging for more flow.

I own a SN95 myself, and am currently trying to find a good shop to tune my car in order to slap on my procharger. I opted for GT40P heads with larger valves. I am also running a Tyhpoon intake due to its large runner sizes for the blower, and a Crane 2030 cam. As you can see, not much of my combo is anything extraordinary or incredibly pricey. I matched this combo because it works well together. Of course, I had to upgrade my ignition and fuel delivery to match, but that is to be expected.

What sort of budget do you have to work with? I would be glad to help you run down some parts if finding good deals is an issue.
procharge94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
gr8pny
Registered Member

You're right...I've been looking at the Holley SystemMax intake. In a 5.0 magazine they reported close to 50 extra horses at 5200rpm. The AFR 185 with this intake should take this from 325 to well over 400. This is my wifes car...no she can really roast em. I do have a question regarding the color of injector...what color injector is the 24 lb's? I already have a 65mm throttle body and think the mass air flow sensor is a 70. This car was built totally from new by Classic Design Concepts with all sorts of goodies for the '96 SEMA show. The owner whom I bought it from would not provide a total goodie list...I have to find/figure out all these items when I get to them. The car runs really quick as it is......The idea of a 400+ convertible that looks like this car is way too tempting. I have a Backdraft Cobra with a 306 carb and 185 AFR's and she can blow me off the road...easily.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
procharge94
Registered Member

24lb injectors will have a blue top, http://search.ebay.com/24lb-injector...fkrZ1QQfromZR8 . sorry about the link, you can just copy and paste it if you get to this today. I would assume that the car has a decent rear end gear ratio and some moderate suspension mods, if it was a show car.

Depending on how many lbs of boost you are running on the blower, AFR 185's with the Holley intake should put you close to 500rwhp, if not higher with a good tune. In my opinion, this sort of horsepower should not be left to deal its damage to the stock rear end. You will need a few traction devices (panhard bar, torque arm/tri-link, lower control arms, etc.).
Old 01-21-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
gr8pny
Registered Member

this is a "first generation" supercharger with 6 pounds boost at best. I will not be changing the cam. Do you think 400 horses is reasonable? The tires just squeal a little in 2nd gear with the clutch fully engaged....this is just with mashing the pedal. I just want her to have more "roasting" potential...
Old 01-22-2005, 01:22 PM   #6
procharge94
Registered Member

400 rwhp should be attainable with heads, intake, and supporting fuel upgrades. I cannot say for sure though. A good tune will make the most difference in the car's performance. Dyno numbers are very relative. Just because a car dynos a large amount does not mean the car is going to be all that fast on the street. In all reality, most daily drivers are not driven wide open all day every day. You want power all the way through your rpm range, which is what tuning will do.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:22 AM   #7
fordblue5oh
Registered Member

Cool Re: 95 supercharged 302 heads???

just some info. you will probably lose some boost psi with good heads and an intake as large as the systemax. BTW just my opinion but the systemax intake is a pain to work with/around infact with tall style valve covers you have to use a 1" spacer to clear the throttle linkage but the result is usally good power numbers. Some people focus too much on psi alone. You may want to check into a smaller pulley to get the boost psi back up but you can still gain plenty of horsepower even though your boost may only be able to hit 4 1/2 or 5 psi. just think their would be no need for huge cog belt monster prochargers exc if the p1sc at 30psi added just as much horsepower.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:34 AM   #8
exgmguy
Registered Member

The Systemax does make great power. I picked up 2 mph on motor when I switched to a Systemax from a GT-40 with a hogged out lower. You can still make great power with the stock cam too, also it can keep daily driveability excellent without sacrificing too much power.

1989 Mustang notchback
Warmed up 306 with a Procharger.
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote