MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Power Adders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-2003, 07:29 PM   #1
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Default Air by pass valve question.

Since i'm getting a supercharger,probably a vortech,i was thining about by pass valves.After asking and reading this is what i think i know so far.Superchargers use air by pass valves instead of the blow off valves i was used from turbos.And instead of blowing the air into the atmosphere like a blow off valve does,the by pass valve just reroutes the air into the intake part of the supercharger.Now you would think that you could just put a blow off valve where you would usually put a by pass valve to get the nice sound(call me a ricer but i love it)but you can't.Because i've heard of people having problems idling,and a by pass valve fixes that problem.But i also know that some people have no problems idling without a by pass valve.That's all i know.Any way to make it work somehow?To get that sound i mean.I would go with a turbo but they're just too expensive.
Jaegermeister2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 03:11 AM   #2
speedytang
Registered Member

It does not matter if it is a supercharger or turbo you will have the same problem if it is a MAS car and it is not a blow thru design. If you want a true blow off valve just get your MAS calibrated for blow thru just like Procharger does on its supercharged kit and turbo kits. I am going to get my old Ford 70mm meter calibrated for blow thru so that I can solve a lean off full throttle condition.
speedytang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 05:47 AM   #3
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

How could i do that?
Old 10-29-2003, 04:42 PM   #4
USMC302
Registered Member

Blow thru?!?!
Old 10-29-2003, 05:01 PM   #5
Dave_mustang_50
Registered Member

Not only will you get the sound you want but you wont be recirculating the hot air. The ones I priced were around 350 bucks. My Procharger came with a bypass but my speed shop wants to go with a blow off for that reason. So much for my little sleeper.

Sold 92 Rag Top GT
Procharged & intercooled DSS 331 LC
Holley Systemax 2 Intake, Edelbrock RPM Heads,E 303 ,blow thru air meter, race bypass, 42 pph injectors,65mm tb,1.7 rr, Mac long tube headers w/off road H pipe, Force 2 catback, TKO,Pro 5.0, K&N, Alum DS,3 core radiator, subframe connectors,3.73`s, Nitto DR`s and a Heavy Foot.
Dave_mustang_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 05:50 PM   #6
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Yeah blow thru.How do i do that?I'm probably gonna buy a novi 1000.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:51 PM   #7
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave_mustang_50
Not only will you get the sound you want but you wont be recirculating the hot air. The ones I priced were around 350 bucks. My Procharger came with a bypass but my speed shop wants to go with a blow off for that reason. So much for my little sleeper.
$350 for what?Blow off valve?
Old 10-29-2003, 05:53 PM   #8
speedytang
Registered Member

The meter is installed between the throttle body and the supercharger instead of betwwen your air cleaner and supercharger.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:04 PM   #9
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Yeah but how could i program it for blow thru?
Old 10-29-2003, 07:24 PM   #10
speedytang
Registered Member

Have your meter recalibrated by PRo-M for that purpose. They change the metering rate per cfm of air to allow the car to handle the pressure going across the Hot Wire of the meter.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:36 PM   #11
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Pro-m?I probably have to send em mine first right?Do they have a website?And how does it work?If i move the MAS then all i would have to do is instead of a by pass valve just put a blow off valve in its place right?
Old 10-31-2003, 11:08 AM   #12
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

If you do stick with your pull through MAF, just make sure you route the bypass far enough away from your MAF so that you don't get surge pushing back through the MAF. That'll creat all kinds of driving problems. 8-10" away is usually far enough.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 04:45 PM   #13
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 91LX2Bfast
If you do stick with your pull through MAF, just make sure you route the bypass far enough away from your MAF so that you don't get surge pushing back through the MAF. That'll creat all kinds of driving problems. 8-10" away is usually far enough.
Aren't the points i can route it to already set on the pipe?Or what do you mean?
Old 11-12-2003, 06:32 PM   #14
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

If you get a pre-made setup, then you might not have to worry about it. But if you are rigging up you own bypass, you need to pick a point on the intake tube to re-route the bypassed air back into. Keep that point 8-10" away from the MAF. I'm not sure if that helps or not.
See, if you put it, say 4" from the MAF, what can happen is this: the air coming back into the intake pipe once the TB is closed can push backwards through the MAF causing poor drivablity. You might notice a bucking or surging when you let off the gas.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:34 AM   #15
ArtMan
Registered Member

Question Am I missing something?

A turbo's blow off valve and a s/c by-pass valve are two different valves. They don't do the same thing.

The by-pass valve on a s/c is meant to recirculate blown air during decelaration (when the throttle is closed and the rpms are high). The blow off valve on a turbo releases excess boost when it reaches a predetermined max.

These valves peform two different functions
ArtMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 12:43 PM   #16
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Default Re: Am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally posted by ArtMan
... The blow off valve on a turbo releases excess boost when it reaches a predetermined max.
You're thinking of a wastegate.

A blow off valve and a bypass valve (or divertor valve) are basically the same thing. Used on MAF equiped cars, the bypass and divertor valves recirculate the air back into the intake track before the compressor but after the MAF. Where as a BOV just releases it to the atmosphere.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:39 PM   #17
ArtMan
Registered Member

Talking Thanks

OK, thanks. When he said blow off valve, I thought he meant wastegate.

You can install a bypass valve on a s/c and leave the end open to the atmosphere. And you definetly will get a noise - some say a farting noise.
ArtMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 05:23 PM   #18
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Default Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by ArtMan
OK, thanks. When he said blow off valve, I thought he meant wastegate.

You can install a bypass valve on a s/c and leave the end open to the atmosphere. And you definetly will get a noise - some say a farting noise.
But that's the problem.If you do that some superchargers have problems idling.I've talked to several people claiming that.
Old 11-15-2003, 04:36 PM   #19
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Yup. With a pull through MAF (oem type,) you want to recirculate the air. The bypass/divertor valves still make that "cool" whoosh sound, just not as loud as the bov.
With a blow through MAF, you can install a BOV and vent to the atmosphere.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:12 AM   #20
USMC302
Registered Member

ok, let me ask the obvious. Pro-M will only be able to recalibrate Pro-M meters right? Does C&L have this option, anyone know?