MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Power Adders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-13-2003, 04:15 AM   #1
oohsoobad2
Registered Member

Default Anyone running Powerdyne????

Ive found a good deal on a powerdyne blower for my car, however ive read about alot of problems people are having with the internal belt and the bearings, especially above 9lbs....

Anyone having anything good or bad to say about Powerdyne???
oohsoobad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 08:37 PM   #2
It's Exgmguy

I have a Powerdyne BD11A. I like the blower a lot. My last car had a Novi 1000, which worked well, but the Powerdyne makes WAY more low end boost, and is almost dead quiet. Nice sleeper effect.
The Powerdyne problems were mostly the early BD10, and BD11 models. If you have a BD11a, you won't have too many problems. If you do break a belt on one, you can change it in less than a half hour.

I did lunch a belt on mine by having the bypass hooked up backwards. (at 13 psi too) I rebuilt the entire blower in my living room. The guy I bought my kit from gave me around 30 belts, and a few new sets of bearings.

I would definitely buy another one.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:04 PM   #3
oohsoobad2
Registered Member

Default powerdyne

Thanx for the feed back... when you rebuilt your blower, did you replace the bearings as well??? If so how did you aquire the bearing?? i hear powerdyne wont sell any internal parts.......
oohsoobad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 01:15 PM   #4
It's Exgmguy

I did replace the bearings. You will need an inexpensive small bearing puller from an auto parts store.
Powerdyne are dicks about selling parts. They want to charge you 500-700 to rebuilt a blower that you can do yourself for 100 bucks. I have the part number to order the belts directly from gates, and the bearings drom a manufacturer called Fafnir pn#202KDD.

A guy also sells the bearings and a belt for a complete rebuild for about 100 bucks.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:56 PM   #5
hadacamaro
Registered Member

it's exgmguy i have a bd11 (9lbs) and have munched three belts. Powerdyne replaced them under warranty before we figured out I was MISSING a by-pass valve, now it munches factory motors but has accumulated a few miles (and the warranty is up!), are the bearings and belts the same as the bd11a? If so can you be more specific about changing them?
hadacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 07:32 PM   #6
exgmguy
Registered Member

The difference between the BD11 and the BD11A is the bearings and the belt. They just used better ones, still the same size, so they will work. The BD10 had a tensioner on the belt which broke all the time.
This blower is EASY to rebuild. If you've broken a belt, just take the blower off the car, remove the pulley and the allen bolts that hold the front cover on. Then pry the front cover off. Do it evenly though. The front bearing seats in the front cover.
Then use a small gear puller to remove the bearing and the gear.
It's the reverse for installation. If you are handy with a wrench it will be easy.

1989 Mustang notchback
Warmed up 306 with a Procharger.
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote