MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-03-2002, 06:58 PM   #1
wjfawb0
Registered Member

Default centrifugal supercharger for 2002 GT

I plan on eventually adding about 8-10 pounds of cooled boost to my 5spd 2002 GT. Anybody got any experience with or heard anything about newer 4.6L with 8-10 pounds of boost?

Right now ATI Procharger is the number one contender. I have looked at the install and parts required for a Vortech as well. I definitely want to go with cooled air, though. Some of my more complex questions are, what changes with the super(fuel pump, injectors, ignition, etc., I know it varies widely with make of the blower)?

After reading material from procharger, it sounds like you can almost add one of their blower cooler combinations without too much extra work. I realize that headers and exhaust work would be highly recommended and a good dyno tuning will most likely be needed, but can you put 8 lbs to a 4.6L without having to get your ECM module reprogrammed or replaced?

I am looking for speed shops that can do professional installs in the Chattanooga, TN area too.

I would like to make 350-400 rwhp for street driving.

I ask much, but anything anyone can offer is much appreciated.
Thanks,
-wjfawb0
Old 06-17-2002, 08:51 PM   #2
apenn

A month ago I had a Vortech installed to my 2000 GT 5sp with 8-10 lbs of boost. For $3800 it included installation, K&N air system, 30 lb fuel injectors, new chip, custom tuned by the speed shop I had it installed at, plus a million other parts I can't remember (you can get the full parts listing on the Vortech website if you want //www.vortechsuperchargers.com). I did not have the intercooler installed, which it sounds like you want. I asked the speed shop about adding the intercooler and they said its not really needed on a Vortech until you start pushing over 10 to 12 psi. You mention you don't want to install a new computer chip or reprogram the existing one. I'm not a hard core gearhead, but I don't know how you could get away with not haveing a new chip, or reprogramminging the existing one. Adding a supercharger is a serious mod and without the computer knowing about its addition I would think you could seriously hurt your engine and/or not get the most out of your SC. I've had my Vortech over a month now and love it! No problems and great power! You might want to check out this website for more info on superchargers. They're a bit Vortech biased, but for good reason. http://www.motorsportsdigest.com/tech.htm Good luck!
Old 06-17-2002, 09:07 PM   #3
wjfawb0
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. Since that post I have learned quite a bit. I thought I understood the tuning part, just trying to see how smart those computers are on those cars. I guess the MAF knowing that you're getting a lot more air in isn't enough for the puter to wake up and start pouring the gas into the intake manifold with the new injectors.

If you have not heard about it, several people seem to be having trouble with 2002s and vortechs. Apparently the new cams and the higher compression don't make for easy tuning with 8-10 lbs of boost. I learned about it over on stangnet.com. a guy with the handle rbianco installed a new vortech and he only got about 30rwhp from it on the dyno.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthrea...hreadid=170943

He is in the process of taking it to several different shops to get it tuned to put out. Apparently this is not uncommon with the 2002s. Their computer algorithms and motor combos seem to be more difficult to work with. Oh well, maybe I'll look at Steeda's kit that comes with a whole new computer for my car, that or the procharger, think maybe it replaces the puter too. Thanks for your input...
-wjfawb0
Old 06-17-2002, 11:32 PM   #4
Torinalth
Registered Member

you might want to look at a turbo setup.... it will cost a bit more, but produce more power for each Lb of boost..... go to www.turbodrivenconcepts.com for the mustang turbo site. I'll be doing the 2x once my new job comes through

Torinalth