MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-16-2003, 10:18 AM   #1
DemonGT
Registered Member

Angry LOTS of 351w swap problums!!

i have a bunch of problums that iv ran into with my 351 swap

first off...i have mac LT's for the 351 swap...i was under the car hooken stuff up and i dont see how its possible to put the heat/dust cover on for the clutch cable?? if i dont run that the cable will be out in the open and right by the header..and i mean RIGHT by the header..and crap will get into the bellhousing??

another big prob is i was going to hook up the pipe for the heater core..the black metal pipes that run along the bottom of the lower intake and then it screws into the front of the lower..it fits but when its installed it blocks the way for the fuel injector for #1?? how can i fix this? if i just ran rubber hose for it i wouldnt be able to hook up that sensor that plugs into the top of that black pipe, would this cause a problum? OR what is involved in just not hooking it up at all besides pluging the hole in the lower intake??

i have a canton oil pan..it is touching the steering rack a bit..iv heard of ppl shiming something?? how do i do that...or will it be ok just to leave it??

what is the bare min for vacuum hoses that i need hooked up? i know i need main sys vac,PCV,brakes,FPR and the black canister...there was one other small vac line on my other intake but i dont know what is was....what about that big glob of vac lines on the pass side by the strut tower? i have no EGR or smog...what can i get rid of and whats the best way to cap them off?

either while removing the old engine or installing the new one it looks like the end of the speedo cable got pinched...the cable was junk to begin with...what would happen if i just left it unhooked? i plan on buying a electric sender and electric speedo gauge later next summer...plus i really dont wanna take my dash apart...alot of the bolts/holes are geting striped cause of done it a bunch

right now im using my dads garage and im trying to get this thing done and drivable before the weather get bad..so the clock is ticken and i need help figuring this stuff out...

thanks in advance
'91 GT,410W,10.5 to 1 comp,Victor Jr. heads,Victor 5.8 intake,FTI cam,Crane retro fit lifters,Scorpian 1.6 RR's,Melling HV oil pump,MSD distro.,Canton oil pan,FMS flywheel,Romac balancer,FMS timing chain,Accufab 90mm TB,C&L 76mm maf, 42lbers,HD clutch,K&N air filter,Mac long tubes,Pro dumps,powerchamber,FMS 9mm wires,180 thermostat,Ford Racing gauges,5inch Tach,centerline convo pro's,nitto DR's,Pro3i lower control arms,50/50 shocks,3.55 gears,TFS HD diff. cover

Next year:

Tremec TKO,Spec stage 3 clutch,alum driveshaft,complete fuel system

www.angelfire.com/linux/demondan
DemonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 09:53 PM   #2
billheis
Registered Member

I put a 351 in a 85 so it was carbed but ran into similar problems. First don't worry about leaving the cable cover off. I used hooker longtubes and didn't have problems with being to close but you can get some insulation and wrap around cable. If youre not worried about having a heater just put the sensor in the manifold and cap the w/p. or cut the heater pipes where the sensor goes and use rubber hose for the rest. You need that sensor. You can put washers under the motor mounts but that will give you even more of a hood problem, if the pan isn't hitting by much i'd just massage (dent) the pan alittle. You might try another set of mounts too. I've got all my emission stuff unhooked. I just unplugged and taped wires out of the way. It does leave the engine light on but it doesn't bother me. Just plug vacuum line at manifold. The spedo has speed sensor on it at trans, that at least needs to be hooked up for the computor. Hope this helps a little.
Bill
90 Convertable 5.0 LX, ported E7s w/ THumper valve job, TFS street, FR 65mm TB, B cam w/1.7 cobra rockers, kirban AFPR, Mac CAI, Mac Headers, off road h, 3 chamber flows, Crane ign. box, 3:73s, Art Carr AOD & 2600 converter
billheis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 07:36 AM   #3
DemonGT
Registered Member

for the speedo..i was looken at summit and they have a electric sender and gauge i could get and then just run the wire up where the shifter is to a gauge...dont know if the sender has the plug in that the stock one has though? what dose the speed sensor do??

im going to get a adapter to put the temp sensor in the intake and then cap off the W/P...any idea as to what to use to cap the water pump off?? if i left the oil pan slightly touching it wouldnt hurt much would it? and wouldnt insulation start on fire??
'91 GT,410W,10.5 to 1 comp,Victor Jr. heads,Victor 5.8 intake,FTI cam,Crane retro fit lifters,Scorpian 1.6 RR's,Melling HV oil pump,MSD distro.,Canton oil pan,FMS flywheel,Romac balancer,FMS timing chain,Accufab 90mm TB,C&L 76mm maf, 42lbers,HD clutch,K&N air filter,Mac long tubes,Pro dumps,powerchamber,FMS 9mm wires,180 thermostat,Ford Racing gauges,5inch Tach,centerline convo pro's,nitto DR's,Pro3i lower control arms,50/50 shocks,3.55 gears,TFS HD diff. cover

Next year:

Old 09-17-2003, 08:34 AM   #4
gtnby2
Registered Member

Default problems

I'm getting ready to do the swap my self and I can already feel your pain!! the speed sensor is more for your cruise control than anything..mine was broken for a few months and it didn't seem to affect the car; just the cruise. The insolation that he is talking about it a heat shield...look in summit at spark plug protectors and things like that 'cause they come in different sizes. I have to put one on my speedo cable 'cause it lays on the exhaust. As for the water tube- if I was you ( and I willbe in about three weeks) I would relocate the sensor and use rubber hose to come off the water pump into the heater core; that way you are not blocking off the water pump and you will have heat. Look at it and see if that will work and let me know....I'm not looking at my car right now and I'm tring to go off of memory!!! This speed sensor and speedo your talking about; where is it in summit? I was wanting to do something like that.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.........for pointers when I do it!!!!
Later,
Brad
gtnby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 09:04 AM   #5
billheis
Registered Member

No it wont hurt the pan but youll feel the engine just like if you had solid mounts. And the pan will eventually get dent from the movement of the engine. I just notice you live up north, Iwould do like Brad said hook up your heater. Also like he said about the insulation, sorry Ididn't make that real clear. BEsides the plug wire stuff they also have awrap that goes adround the header. One other bit of wisdom (you get that by screwing up) make sure to put the proper balance flywheel on the engine. I put the 5.0 one on that 351 (351's are 28oz. balance) and it shook really bad, so out came the trans ect.
Bill
90 Convertable 5.0 LX, ported E7s w/ THumper valve job, TFS street, FR 65mm TB, B cam w/1.7 cobra rockers, kirban AFPR, Mac CAI, Mac Headers, off road h, 3 chamber flows, Crane ign. box, 3:73s, Art Carr AOD & 2600 converter
billheis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 05:55 PM   #6
yoshi351w
Registered Member

Sounds like you have a few bugs to woek out. Not problems! I could tell you about problems.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:49 AM   #7
DemonGT
Registered Member

i relocated the sensor into the intake...i really dont need heat..its only a summer car and only drove mabe twice a week or will be...

go here for the speedo sender or just go to summits catalog online and go to gauges then to gauge sending units

flywheel is a brand new ford billet 28oz

as for running hoses to the heater core for heat..yes it will work..seen it done before..but it looks really ugly and seeing how i dont need the heat id just rather cap it off..and IF i ever did need it...then just run hose to the core..but yes it will work

here is a guy who did it..he dose this to his car when it gets colder out..then in the summer caps the W/P off

Next year:

Old 09-18-2003, 11:15 AM   #8
gtnby2
Registered Member

Default hose routing

Thanks for putting that pic up... It does look kinda ugly but I think with a little imagination it could work well!!!!!
Thanks again,
Brad
gtnby2 is offline   Reply With Quote