MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Power Adders (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   build a cobra engine for boost set up?? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=42155)

03stangGT 03-25-2004 07:06 AM

build a cobra engine for boost set up??

I'm considering buying and engine to play with... here is the idea. My buddy who does the work on my car (as well as his 11 sec cobra) has a friend with a 1996 cobra motor he is selling. he can get me the complete motor for $1k the motor has 70k miles and runs mint! Would it be a waste of time for me to pick up that motor, install manley forged rods/pistons, and bearing kit, with low comp pistons? I'd like to build the motor for a blower or turbo application. This would all be going in a 2003 GT. I would like to keep my GT motor stock and keep it as a back up. I wanted to build a 4v because of a few things... I like a motor that rev's! and the cobra motor does compaired to my GT. Also it seems as though you get more HP from boost as compaired to a GT. Soo would this be a total waste of my time? Is there a better way to do this? keep in mind I'm not going to touch my GT motor, and I want to build a 4v, and not spend $5k. ANY opinions would be great....thanks in advance!

ps...the stock crank in the cobras are forged arent they? wouldnt wanna have to spend another $1k on that

RPM427 03-31-2004 12:52 AM

That sounds like a good deal. How much power do you plan on making? That will determine if internal mods are needed.

Ackbar00 03-31-2004 10:33 AM

Sounds expensive, but worthwile:cool:

03stangGT 03-31-2004 03:44 PM

Well as far as power, my wish has alllwaayyyss been to have a turbo set up. but if I get impatient in my saving efforts I will most likely go with a novi s/c. because it is about 2k cheaper! and I would still be happy with that! I would like to be atleasttttt close if not a little more than 400hp to the wheels, because I would like to keep is as driveable as possible. The whole idea of me installing the forged rods/pistons, and having the block bored slightly is to start over with a fresh engine (or close to it). and also SHOULD be totally reliable that way. because I love this car and want to be able to drive it as often as I choose. I've got a question though...if this does not come with all the wireing from the cobra, where could I get all that? how much would it run me? thanks guys...also can you see any problems I may encounter?

RPM427 03-31-2004 06:11 PM

You can pick up the wiring harness on ebay fairly cheap. I will be using a TEC3 engine managment system from Elecrotmotive for my 4v. It replaces all the factroy electrinics and allows you to run a supercharger without an FMU or a burned chip and will increase drivablilty and overall performance. Its only a few hundred more then a stock EEC and wiring with a burned chip and dyno tuning.