MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-21-2002, 01:15 PM   #1
Young_Pony

Default New Engine Build Help

Hey all,

I am thinking about building a mild 302 and was wondering if this would be a good combo, and how much HP/TQ might be expected from it

Specs:

Intake: Edelbrock Performer
Heads: Edelbrock Performer (1.90 or 2.02??)
Cam: Lift: .448/.472 Duration:204*/214*
Carb: Holly 4160 600 cfm w/2" spacer
Headers: What size?

And i was planning on doing Garage Port and Polish on the heads and intake

Any Suggestions on combo? Also is that a good cam, if not what would be a good lift and duration for this combo? Would it be fine to use Hypernetic Pistons or would forged be better (Engine is on a tight budget)

Thank you for any help

steven

PS I was going to get a junker engine to get all the bolts and other EQ i would need, is that ok for this mild of an engine?
Old 08-22-2002, 08:20 AM   #2
SlowGT
Registered Member

Here's my $.02 (if it's worth that).

That is a mild setup. Don't know what the cost difference would be for the larger valves. 1.90 would be adequate but the 2.02 may be better since you're looking at such a small cam. I'm strictly fuel inj, I don't know anything about carb setups, so maybe it is a decent cam for a carb car. I would think you could go with a .500/.510 lift with durations somewhere in the 220-230 range @ .050. Probably a 280-290 adv duration. 1-5/8 shorties would be plenty of header for the combo you're showing. Equals or unquals, you probably wouldn't notice a difference other than maybe your exhaust note. Think of your future plans for the car/engine. Try to buy parts that will compliment your next set of upgrades. There's also a lot to be said about compression ratio. That's a bunch of 'free' power. But keep in mind your future plans. Don't go milling yourself down to 55cc chambers with plans of supercharging it later on. I got a great deal on my heads, but now I want to supercharge. 14# on 10.4:1? I'm going to do it, but when the 347's ready, I'll have to buy new heads anyway because these won't flow enough for that.

There's only about a million different combos out there. Good luck finding the best one for you.

New Slow GT--> under construction

Latest Addition: 95 Cobra R, #73, bone stock, ~6100 miles.
SlowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 01:27 PM   #3
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

It looks like a pretty ood starting point but there are a couple of things i would personally change. I would go with a little mroe cam than what you have stated. Im a big fan of the camp cams extreme energy cams. You can get something like mine with .512 lift and it makes good power with the performer intake. I might also step up to something like a holley 650 double pumper. The main reason for this is because it is a bigger carb and if you plan on doing even more stuff it is a better carb. As far as heads the 1.90 valves should be fine for now. And i have a setup almost identical to yours and i am used some speedpro hypereutectic pistons and they work good. But like slow gt said make a plan first. Figure out if you want to be adding a power adder down the road. My best suggestion would be to go to a good engine builder and talk to them. Tell them what you want to do with the car and how far you want to go. They should be able to give you some good starting points.