MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-09-2003, 09:38 AM   #1
CapaC
Registered Member

Question Just wondering about Catatilitc Converters

Quick question,

When I got my mustang (87 GT) all the catalitic converters were cut out and replaced with straight pipe. What are the plusses and minuses to doing this? Once in a while my engine light will flash on and I'm wondering if it's due to the emissions not being properly regulated. Should I get a new H-pipe?

CapaC
CapaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 09:44 AM   #2
richd
Registered Member

Have you had the EGR recall taken care of? Might Check Engine light actually burned out because of that stupid problem. Still haven't had it fixed...

The recall fixes a wire harness that prevented the computer from reading the EGR valve position. Don't know if that applies to your year, though.

Rich D.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 09:53 AM   #3
CapaC
Registered Member

Smile Thanks!

Hey thanks for the heads up on the recall. I knew nothing about it. The previous owner of my car did a lot of work to it but I am definately still going to research that recall and have it looked at.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:02 AM   #4
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

No cats shouldnt effect your computer since the last sensors the computer sees are the O2s in the pipes and those come before the cats... I pulled my cats and it made my car louder but hasnt affected anything else, cept maybe HP.. but I cant really tell that for sure.. sounds cool though
-as
Old 04-09-2003, 02:39 PM   #5
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

By removing the catalytic converters you decrease resistance in the exhaust track. This will free you up a little horsepower, but won't really be appreciated until you have augmented the remainder of your setup (TB, MAF, heads, intake, etc).

In the short, cats aren't going to effect you negatively, and might actually help just a bit. However, if you have to pass emissions, you won't be able to pass a visual inspection. However, I don't know anything about Canada's emissions laws.

On my car, I cut the heat sheilds off, cut a hole in the converter housing, pulled out the packing, and welded it all back up including the heat shields. Also, all cuts were made on the side that is up against the car and hidden by the heat shields. Visual isn't a problem, but I wouldn't have a prayer in a sniffer test.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 04:23 PM   #6
CapaC
Registered Member

Cool Freedom

Emissions are not a problem where I live. Canadian emissions are accually regulated by the provinces. Alberta has no emissions checking. However if I were to live 30 minutes west (British Columbia) I'd be in need of a new exhaust.

I do plan on putting in a new cold air intake as well. Any suggestions?

TB?
MAF?

Old 04-09-2003, 04:29 PM   #7
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

I'd suggest a Moroso kit, or some other fenderwell kit (C&L or Mac make them...don't have any experience with those). I'm not a big "ram air" kit fan. The intake scoop can suck up debri, or worse, water.

A larger TB will give you a little now, and much more later if you ever get deeper into the engine. I would go for a 65mm.

Is your stang speed density? Don't know about SD mods, but for MAF, a 76mm meter is what I run.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 04:30 PM   #8
Sicy Stang
Sizzlin' Sicilian

Quote:
Originally posted by ChunkFunky
I pulled my cats and it made my car louder but hasnt affected anything else, cept maybe HP.. but I cant really tell that for sure.. sounds cool though
Same here. My car is loud as hell.

Smogs are a biatch though.. I have to pay a nice chunk of cash to have someone pass it for me.

You're lucky you dont have that problem where you live. (Canada)
Sicy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 04:36 PM   #9
CapaC
Registered Member

Trying not to sound like a moron (I'm really not I'm just beginning to get into this) but all I know is that my car is 99% stock and it's an 87 GT 5.0HO. I have no idea what the difference between speed density and MAF, or even what MAF stands for. Same goes for TB.

*goes and hides in a corner*
Old 04-09-2003, 04:47 PM   #10
Sicy Stang
Sizzlin' Sicilian

Red face I just learned this the other day...

Does your car have one of these?

Then its MAF (Mass Air Flow).
Old 04-09-2003, 04:55 PM   #11
CapaC
Registered Member

If you mean the little black chip, yes...yes it does.

BTW-That is a very sharp looking engine. Hope mine looks that nice one day.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:10 PM   #12
Sicy Stang
Sizzlin' Sicilian

lol.. yes its a nice engine. I wish I could say it was mine.. just an example.

Mine's totally stock. I love it though.. it purrrrrrrrrrrrrs.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:11 PM   #13
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

If your car is stock then you have speed density. Fuel injected 5.0's had speed density from '86-'88 and switched to MAF for all '89+ cars. The type of setup you have relays the speed and density of the incoming air to the computer, while a Mass Air Flow meter (MAF) measures the actual mass flow rate of the air coming into the intake. MAF allows the computer to adjust for mods better than speed density, although BONE STOCK vs. BONE STOCK speed density cars are generally a hair quicker (only a tenth or two difference at most in a 1/4 mile).
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 05:38 PM   #14
Sicy Stang
Sizzlin' Sicilian

Quote:
Originally posted by blue00gt
If your car is stock then you have speed density. Fuel injected 5.0's had speed density from '86-'88 and switched to MAF for all '89+ cars. The type of setup you have relays the speed and density of the incoming air to the computer, while a Mass Air Flow meter (MAF) measures the actual mass flow rate of the air coming into the intake. MAF allows the computer to adjust for mods better than speed density, although BONE STOCK vs. BONE STOCK speed density cars are generally a hair quicker (only a tenth or two difference at most in a 1/4 mile).
Hmm I'm confused then. I have an '88.. its pretty much all stock.. but it has the black thing between the air filter and the TB as shown in the pic. Doesnt that mean its Mass air flow?

I thought you either had one or the other.. not both.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:04 PM   #15
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy Stang
Hmm I'm confused then. I have an '88.. its pretty much all stock.. but it has the black thing between the air filter and the TB as shown in the pic. Doesnt that mean its Mass air flow?

I thought you either had one or the other.. not both.
Is your car a Cali car? Mustangs sold in California were introduced to Mass air in 88 to meet the strict emissions laws there. Mass air was not used till 89 everywhere else.

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 07:52 PM   #16
Sicy Stang
Sizzlin' Sicilian

Quote:
Originally posted by HiFlow5 0
Is your car a Cali car? Mustangs sold in California were introduced to Mass air in 88 to meet the strict emissions laws there. Mass air was not used till 89 everywhere else.
Interesting! Yes I am in Cali.

Yeah dont get me started about our emissions laws
I'm surprised I havent gotten busted yet for having no cats for the last 8 years...
Old 04-10-2003, 02:32 AM   #17
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Default Re: Freedom

Quote:
Originally posted by CapaC
Emissions are not a problem where I live. Canadian emissions are accually regulated by the provinces. Alberta has no emissions checking. However if I were to live 30 minutes west (British Columbia) I'd be in need of a new exhaust.

Actually, if you don't live in the lower mainland then you don't have emmissions testing. My car is plated for Kamloops so I don't have to get it aircared, and you can actually run a pre 88 car through the emisions testing without catalytic converters and using a few "tricks of the trade" these things can pass.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:50 AM   #18
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I live in MA and we have emissions testing here.... though the guy I used to go to didnt do any visual... though he closed down recently... wonder why? .... but I put on my OR H pipe, after I got my sticker... then I figure next year when it comes time again, i'll spend an afternoon putting the cat'ed pipes back on... or maybe try it once and see what happens.. if you dont pass you have like 30 days to fix the problem and retest
-as
Old 04-10-2003, 06:41 AM   #19
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

In most inspection stations, when they see cars like ours come in, the first thing they do is look under for the cats. MA laws are strict but not too bad, I have had no problem passing. I do swap my h-pipe every year, but it doesn't take long and is fairly simple to do.

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 08:46 AM   #20
CapaC
Registered Member

Question Confused

Well that's odd. Though I have no idea where my car originally came from (the previous owner found it in a scrap yard and fixed it up) it does have the black chip as well. Though I was told it was a hybrid and contained 88 parts as well as 87 parts. Hmm...