MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Power Adders (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Darius' dyno numbers (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=44022)

drudis 08-25-2004 09:19 AM

Darius' dyno numbers

FINALLY, took my Mustang to the dyno monday to get it tuned. This past winter (ok, ALL summer) I installed a new Ed Curtis custom cam and TFS-TrackHeat intake.

Greg Banish at Livernois (DetroitSpeedworks) did the tuning. We did a few pulls, and slowly went after a safe fuel curve, and timing was limited to a safe tune also. After a few light pulls, we went for a full pull. The good news is that the motor makes TONS of power!!! On the Mustang Dyno (load dyno) it was pushing 479rwhp @6100rpm and _still_ climbing, when we shut it off. [The Mustang Dyno simulates load, like wind speed and vehicle weight in a quarter mile. While the Dynojet, does not apply a simulated load, and thus is about 10% higher numbers]. On a Dynojet that would equate to 525rwhp!!!! YIKES!

The reason we shut it down, was that it ran out of fuel. The 42# injectors, with intank 255 and T-rex 255 inline fuel pumps, and SN95 bigger fuel rails couldnt keep up with demand. We tried adding more injector pulse width, but they were already 100% duty. It went from a steady 11.4:1 A/F ratio, when at 5500rpm it started going leaner _quickly_ to nearly 13.0+:1 A/F ratio @ 6100 rpm (where we shut it down). The torque already plateaued, but the hp was still climbing.

Right now, I am looking to put a LARGER (yeah, slow down and underdrive) the blower with a 7# pulley (like a 3.6" ?) which is down from 8# pulley (3.33") that came stock with the S-trim. Hopefully knock off some 30rwhp, and get it to crack right at 500rwhp. [Remember, this is a stock shortblock with 36K miles]. Also plan on adding more initial fuel pressure to simulate larger injectors (not have to buy new 50# injectors). Between these two changes, that should allow me to run it to 6000rpm (self imposed redline), and free up some fuel necessity on top end.

First time in my life, I ever wanted to "get rid" of the already toooo much horsepower. :D

Here is the dyno sheet:
http://www.dariusrudis.com/junk/Mustang_Dyno_Sheet.jpg

Here is the 8M video:
http://www.dariusrudis.com/videos/Mustang_Dyno_clip.wmv

Ackbar00 08-25-2004 11:17 AM

Beefy, Nice numbers there cheif:cool:

StangFlyer 08-25-2004 11:30 AM

Time for a beefed up bottom end and some 55 lbers Darius!! :D

drudis 08-25-2004 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan McClain
Time for a beefed up bottom end and some 55 lbers Darius!! :D
Yeah, thats my real concern righ now. Blowing the the block. Thus my larger pulley to reduce boost/power.

Hopefully this engine will last me thru all of 2005, and THEN I'll think about something like a 331 with a different (Sportsman?) block...

StangFlyer 08-25-2004 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by drudis
Hopefully this engine will last me thru all of 2005, and THEN I'll think about something like a 331 with a different (Sportsman?) block...
Naawwww... I'll assemble you a 377 or 408 stroker. :p A 351 based mill is the way to go. It's just so much beefier and you can't beat cubic inches.

Jeff Chambers 08-25-2004 05:48 PM

Bigger isn't always better! :p My little 'ol 308 is making better than 565hp at the crank....N/A! Stay small and just spin it to the moon!

Nice numbers Darius. That torque must be a real killer on the street. :)

StangFlyer 08-25-2004 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Chambers
Bigger isn't always better! :p My little 'ol 308 is making better than 565hp at the crank....N/A! Stay small and just spin it to the moon!
Take a 377 or 408 with solid rollers and spin it to the moon, then see what kind of power you make.

Really, my argument for going with a 351W based mill though wouldn't have nearly as much to do with horsepower as it would regarding durability. Talking production blocks, of course. If you've got $2K to throw at an SVO block than it's not the same issue. However, when you build a higher horsepower based engine on a production type block the 302 just doesn't offer the durability and strength of the 351.

When I was running my 302, squeezing it for all the power I could get (515 RWHP) the block went see ya later right on the dyno eventually. I've been running my supercharged 377 with a lot more power still than the 302 ever had and it hasn't flinch and inch. No more blown head gaskets and the block holds up. I wish I would have done the swap and built a 351 mill years prior. What headaches it would have saved me!

fiveohpatrol 08-27-2004 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Chambers
I second that!

I agree with you though Dan on the production block aspect of it. I'd love to slap a roughly 400cid smallblock in mine and just a touch of boost:)

Darius, great numbers! If you change your mind and decide to sell those 42lb'ers, shoot me a PM.

-Drew