View Single Post
Old 08-25-2004, 06:11 PM   #7
StangFlyer
Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Chambers
Bigger isn't always better! My little 'ol 308 is making better than 565hp at the crank....N/A! Stay small and just spin it to the moon!
Take a 377 or 408 with solid rollers and spin it to the moon, then see what kind of power you make.

Really, my argument for going with a 351W based mill though wouldn't have nearly as much to do with horsepower as it would regarding durability. Talking production blocks, of course. If you've got $2K to throw at an SVO block than it's not the same issue. However, when you build a higher horsepower based engine on a production type block the 302 just doesn't offer the durability and strength of the 351.

When I was running my 302, squeezing it for all the power I could get (515 RWHP) the block went see ya later right on the dyno eventually. I've been running my supercharged 377 with a lot more power still than the 302 ever had and it hasn't flinch and inch. No more blown head gaskets and the block holds up. I wish I would have done the swap and built a 351 mill years prior. What headaches it would have saved me!
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
StangFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote