MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-21-2002, 11:32 AM   #1
chickendreamer
Registered Member

Default Refilling your own Nitrous bottles.. read please

I have access to buying nitrous oxide bottles in large cylinders. Does anyone know of a company that has a regulator which will dispense up to 1000psi or is there some other system used to dispense nitrous? Thanks in advance
Old 09-21-2002, 11:44 AM   #2
PKRWUD

NOS sells everything you need. They have refill station "kit" you can buy, if you like. The only things missing are the bottle, scale, and an air compressor.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 12:23 PM   #3
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

An alternate route to refilling a nitrous bottle, if you don't have or want to spend the cash on a refill station... is to chill the bottle you wish to refill, either in a deep freezer or a cooler full of ice and water. After several minutes of doing this, hook the small bottle directly up to the big bottle, open the valves, and the cold bottle will suck the nitrous out of the big bottle, while using a digital scale to keep track of how many pounds you are putting into the smaller bottle, of course... and, viola! One refilled nitrous bottle, no pump, no compressor. Just make sure you have a digital scale and a quality, inline nitrous filter between the bottles

BTW, Nitrous Express sells a refill station complete with a digital scale... you supply the compressor and the bottles, however.

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 01:26 PM   #4
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by ultraflo
An alternate route to refilling a nitrous bottle, if you don't have or want to spend the cash on a refill station... is to chill the bottle you wish to refill, either in a deep freezer or a cooler full of ice and water. After several minutes of doing this, hook the small bottle directly up to the big bottle, open the valves, and the cold bottle will suck the nitrous out of the big bottle, while using a digital scale to keep track of how many pounds you are putting into the smaller bottle, of course... and, viola! One refilled nitrous bottle, no pump, no compressor. Just make sure you have a digital scale and a quality, inline nitrous filter between the bottles
That so impresses me, that you just took over the #1 spot, in my book, for coolest info provider on MW.

That is totally trick info that I never would have known. Does the mother bottle still have to be inverted?

Thanks!

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 02:03 PM   #5
429mustang
Registered Member

ULTRAFLOW, your full length hood is BAYAD. I'm looking to get a later year notchback and want a full length hood. Where did you get yours, did you have to delete the wipers?
Old 09-21-2002, 04:37 PM   #6
chickendreamer
Registered Member

Ok thanks, I will have to phone NOS and ask them, I was hoping for a major manufacturer of gas equipment, i'm sure it would be much cheaper than buying it directly from NOS.
Old 09-21-2002, 05:26 PM   #7
BilLster
Registered Member

go to a welding supply house. tjey will have everything in house and because they sell lots of it its less expensive i get my bottle filled at western welding supply for $3.00 they also fill for some of the speed shops who then charge alot more
Old 09-22-2002, 01:53 AM   #8
nismo280
Registered Member

airgas retail and wholesale locations, along with their website, www.airgas.com, they'll supply you with everything you need, reasonably..

I purchased a wire feed welder from there not long ago... I got a deal compared to what other's were charging. They handle all welding needs. They can supply you with what you need for nitrous fill station of your own.

Tony
Old 09-22-2002, 02:49 AM   #9
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD
Does the mother bottle still have to be inverted?

Thanks!

Take care,
~Chris
You're too kind Chris!

To answer your question, yes ....the mother bottle must be inverted. I was impressed by this method once I saw a buddy of mine fill my bottles at the track for me after setting them in his cooler for several minutes... when he's at home, he just puts the bottles to be filled in his deep freezer.

And hey, you know you're still the number one guy when it comes to good info. on this site... glad I could share this tid-bit with you as I'm sure you'll pass it on.

Give it a try guys, it works!

About the hood, it's a Cervini 5.5" lift off "monster" hood... it was for looks originally, but as of now it is functional... the way I have my nitrous nozzle mounted takes full advantage of the 5.5 inches as the lines touch the underside, that and I run two 1" spacers. It's just too damn BIG, but I like it

It's hard to beat anything Cervini makes when it comes to overall quality, fit, and finish... thanks for the compliment 429mustang, and yes, I had to ditch the wipers (and wiper motor while I was at it)...

BTW, even with a refill station, you get a quicker fill if you chill the receiving bottle beforehand....

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 03:26 PM   #10
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

hey even at some huge tracks(etown) they still freeze em b4 they fill em..i guess not everyone has compressors???

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 06:00 AM   #11
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Quote:
Originally posted by ultraflo

BTW, Nitrous Express sells a refill station complete with a digital scale... you supply the compressor and the bottles, however.
That's how my local shop fills my bottles, I'm thinking of getting a piece of line and renting a bottle to to this, I will store the bottles in my garage refridgerator as well. What are you guys paying to rent a large refill bottle, how much per pound, how many pounds is a bottle? I pay 3.50/lbs locally to have my bottles filled, 2 a weekend..lol

Check out RNH Performance Performance Engines and Custom Fabrication.
From Mild to Wild we can build what you want, when you want it.

FOR SALE Stainless Steel Torque Box Supports
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote