MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Power Adders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-06-2005, 11:11 PM   #1
Mustanger
Dot Racing

Question FMU or REGULATOR?

I recently purchased the Aeromotive Rail kit, it came with an adjustable regulator. Can anyone tell me if I can eliminate the FMU by replacing the intank pump with a 255lph and using the aeromotive regulator supplied with the kit. Also if I do eliminate the FMU, do I connect the vaccum port from the regulator to the intake manifold. I already have an inline t-rex. I'm boosting 10psi on an S-trim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg misc 021.JPG (56.3 KB, 12 views)
Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 08:36 AM   #2
procharge94
Registered Member

Default Re: FMU or REGULATOR?

Yes, that is what you can do. Just make sure you install the high pressure 255; I have heard talk of some 255's that are not very friendly with boost.

Removing the FMU is a great idea anyways. They are a problem just waiting to happen.
procharge94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 12:32 PM   #3
Mustanger
Dot Racing

Thanks for the reply, thats what i thought but wasn't sure. Now With the FMU removed and the 255lph in tank along with the T-rex, What should I set my fuel pressure at on the guage? If anyone knows, please let me know, I'm fairly new with superchargers and still learning. I used to be into carburator cars, but then I saw the light...
Old 02-07-2005, 01:20 PM   #4
stangGT95
Registered Member

What injectors are you running?
95 GT w/ AODE and Transgo Shift kit, trans cooler, SpeedCal, KB 1.5 Flowzilla w/ 6# pulley, MAC chrome CAI, chrome radiator hoses, stock MAF w/ center post removed, 70mm PP TB, electrical boost & FP gauges, digital A/F gauge, 1 5/8" unequal headers, 2 1/2" ProChamber h-pipe, Borla catback exhaust, and 3.55's. Cobra RR hood, Saleen double wing, Xenon body kit, chrome Cobra R wheels 17X8 in front and 17X10.5 in the back.
stangGT95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 01:26 PM   #5
procharge94
Registered Member

Do you have a wideband in the car? If so, you can tune off of that. Otherwise, you may want to have the car dyno tuned.

From your attached picture I can see that this is a drag car. Bearing that in mind, the car is primarily ran wide open. So, set the fuel pressure to a very rich setting, at least 40lbs. Then go drive it while watching your air/fuel meter (assuming that you have one). This can be done without a wideband as well. But the ONLY way it will work in that manner is at WOT. If the meter reads rich, back the fuel pressure a pound or two. Continue this until the point of either poor performance or when the meter starts leaning to the left of 'Stoich". This is not an exact science, but its better than nothing.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:40 AM   #6
Mustanger
Dot Racing

I'm running 42 pound injectors.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:32 AM   #7
procharge94
Registered Member

I have a slight correction to make. Try to keep your air/fuel in the RICH for WOT, I just verified this with autometer, although I'm sure they are being conservative.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:41 PM   #8
Mustanger
Dot Racing

As soon as I'm done, I will post the results. Thanks Procharge94....
Old 02-14-2005, 11:01 PM   #9
procharge94
Registered Member

Any progress yet?
Old 02-15-2005, 12:19 AM   #10
Mustanger
Dot Racing

Nothing yet, My mass air meter just went bad and I haven't been able to drive the car, I should have a new meter by the end of this week. I'll let you know then.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:00 PM   #11
Mustanger
Dot Racing

Ok, Update....
I finally got my Pro M 80mm mass air unit. The car idles great and runs incredibly strong. The only thing i'm not too sure about is, that after driving the car all day, I removed the drivers side spark plugs only to find them in brand new condition. Could this be an indication of the car running too lean or what should I look for to see if the walbro 255 lph along with the t-rex and fuel regulator are suffice to feed my 12 psi of Vortech ingested boost????????? FYI, so everyone can get a better idea, I'm running a stock 302 bottom with TFS track heat heads, Holley Systemx 2 intake, 70mm TB, Bennet racing 530 lift cam, 80mm Pro M, 42 Pound injectors with Aeromotive rails, long tube bbk's 1 3/4 with x-pipe and Vortech S trim with anderson power pipe 12pounds on the boost guage. I hope this can help in answering my questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg supercharged 002.jpg (77.0 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Mustanger; 02-16-2005 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: adding
Old 02-18-2005, 02:36 AM   #12
procharge94
Registered Member

How new are the plugs? Unless you WANT to be running very rich, you won't dirty the plugs immediately. Admitedly, you are probably running on the lean side. But, that does not mean you are running too lean. Lean is mean. Do you have any sort of air/fuel gauge to use? I'm not sure how hard you are driving the car, but if you are NOT hearing any sort of pinging or detonation, you should be ok. The stock bottom end will hold your amount of power no problem, even without a dyno tune. I think your next step is either to have the car dyno tuned or fork out the money for a wideband. Without either, you are playing a guessing game.

Now this is where my view differs from some v-8 owners. Because these cars, mustangs in particular, are able to make a good amount of power very easily with some simple bolt ons, many people choose to go no farther. They tune the car themselves to make sure they are not running too lean, and then leave it be. Well, I feel that many people could squeeze out more overall power, not to mention improve their area under the curve. A custom chip created for a car on a dyno is going to give new fuel maps, not to mention some nice options that can be toyed with according to driving style. Rpm's can be set to hang for a set amount of time between shifts, timing can be pulled or advanced, and so on.

If you want to be serious about being fast, you need to be serious about how you get there. Just a weekend racer? Not a big deal to tune it yourself. BUT, if you want to start smoking some people down with more serious setups, look into having your setup fine tuned on a dyno.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:47 PM   #13
Mustanger
Dot Racing

The plugs are brand new and I hear no detonation, So i'm just going to assume that i'm safe for now. Right now I dont drive the car hard, only because the track is closed, but by the end of the month it will be a different story. So i'm going to take some advice and invest in the Dynojet Commander Wideband. In a couple of months i'll make the investment and go with a custom chip and a professional tune.. Thanks for sharing your knowledge
Old 02-19-2005, 02:21 AM   #14
procharge94
Registered Member

You are welcome. And good choice with deciding to upgrade to a wideband.