MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Power Adders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-20-2003, 02:32 PM   #1
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

Default hey simi!

hey simi, jim here again. long time no talk, which is a good thing except that now i have another question. my nitrous isnt working again, but I am pretty sure it is becasue of the hobbs switch thing. it is set at 38 psi and i remember one of the things that had to be done last time i had it fixed was adjust the allen screw in the back of it. what way do i turn it so that it will work again. i want to say to the right, but am not sure. i can cross the two wires and it will spray, so i am pretty sure that it is the hobbs switch. i took apart both solenoids and also checked the screen and everything else appeared to be ok. thanks,

jim
90 lx hatch, holley systemax II kit, rebuilt 302, BBK 155 lph fuel pump, pro M bullet mass meter wtih BBk cold air intake, 30 # injectors, 70 mm TB, jacobs ignition system, edelbrock water pump, BBk longtube headers with h-pipe, flowmasters, b&m ripper shifter, 3.55 gears, Proform electric fan, subframe connectors/removed smog pump and ac!

75 shot of nitrous!

13.2 at 112 1/4 mile- no traction!
1jimmy__d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 03:14 PM   #2
Simi Stang

Hey Jim, sorry to hear you are having problems. When you mention "adjust the allen screw in the back of it"...did you mean the back of the Hobbs switch? If it was once set correctly than I really don't think it needs further adjusting. You are not talking about setting your fuel pressure with the adjustable fuel pressure regulator are you? I have a NOS kit #5115 and my Hobbs switch does not have an allen bolt in the back of it...so you may have something different?? If the system works when crossing the two wires than the Hobbs switch could be your problem...or your fuel system isn't pushing enough fuel volume to withstand the adequate amount of fuel pressure required when the nitrous is being used. What level of shot are you currently running? Still just the 75hp. or have you gotten the itch to bump it up to a 100 or 125 shot yet? Because your problem might not Hobbs switch...you may not have adequate fuel pressure when using the nitrous...and your Hobbs switch is doing it's job and cutting off the flow of nitrous. You may need to get an additional inline fuel pump such as the T-Rex or something similar. I run a 155lph intank pump...and a 200gph MSD inline pump and have no fuel volume/psi. problems. Let me know if that helped any...we'll figure this bug out.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:06 PM   #3
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

im still running the 75 shot (unless you can find the pill that goes in there for a 125 shot for me ). i was talking about the hobbs switch. i remember adjusting that with the guy who fixed it last time. maybe it isnt the problem, but when i cross the wires, it works. the fuel pressure is set at 38 which is fine. i was alos thinking that maybe i have lots of air in the lines, becasue when testing it, it would spray a few times without the nitrous spraying out. damn nitrous i think when i have time i am going to start the car and play around with it while running and ill take the hose that hooks into the TB out and test it that way. last time the car was off and i was testing it. it worked at the beginning, but as the lines lost fuel pressure it didnt work. BUT if i test it with the car running, it should have enough fuel pressure right? then i could narrow it down to the hobbs switch for sure. you have the 5115 kit and it doesnt have an allen screw behind there? weird! thanks simi! Hey I m serious about finding that pill though for the 125 shot
90 lx hatch, holley systemax II kit, rebuilt 302, BBK 155 lph fuel pump, pro M bullet mass meter wtih BBk cold air intake, 30 # injectors, 70 mm TB, jacobs ignition system, edelbrock water pump, BBk longtube headers with h-pipe, flowmasters, b&m ripper shifter, 3.55 gears, Proform electric fan, subframe connectors/removed smog pump and ac!

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 09-23-2003, 09:13 PM   #4
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

i had time today to check it while running and it seems to work fine now i didnt adjust the hobbs switch at all. maybe the solenoids were "locked" up or something. is that normal? i have a question though. the car sat for 2 days before i checked it today. i loosened up the tube going to the TB so that i could check it and there was no pressure what so ever. should it hold pressure in there for a couple days, or would it loose it somehow through the lines. when testing the other day, there was aton of pressure in between tests when loosening the hoses! is that normal or do i have to tighten something up? thanks,

jim

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 09-24-2003, 01:02 PM   #5
Simi Stang

Default 5115

Are you sure your bottle isn't getting close to empty? Sometimes when the nitrous is getting low, that can cause the system to not work as well...and function intermittently. I don't think your solenoids were "locked up"...and no that is not normal for your system to work and not work. I really don't think I have a allen screw on the back of my Hobbs switch. There's is an allen screw in the middle of my adjustable fuel pressure regulator though...you don't mean that do you? The reason why there was no pressure in your lines is because the solenoids hold the nitrous back from entering the motor through that last couple feet of braided hose. When you were loosening the hoses the other day which connections were you messing with? Because there really shouldn't be any pressure in the short line from the solenoids to the TB. If you mean why there is no pressure before the solenoids...then it most likely dissipated during the two days your car sat. Not sure where it goes...but you don't need to worry about tightening up anything. Was your bottle on during the two days your car sat? If not...then that would be another reason why you would have no pressure in the lines. You probably know this already...but make sure you don't ever accidentally inject nitrous into your motor without it running. If so...you'd have to remove all the spark plugs and turn the motor over several times with a remote starter switch to get all of the laughing gas out. Otherwise when you start your car with the nitrous in there...KABOOM!! And that would suck. So now that the system is working...is the Hobbs switch correctly hooked up? I hope so. Running the system without it is NOT GOOD and could easily damage your motor. Testing the nitrous with the motor off does work, say...if you just wanted to check to see if your fuel pressure boosts up to the appropriate 80-85psi., or you wanted to make sure you solenoids are working properly, or even to see if the nitrous itself will work (with the line disconnected from the motor of course). But yes with the motor off the system will eventually lose pressure and will stop squirting nitrous out of the disconnected line. With the motor started though, and the line disconnected I believe you can test the system. But the motor will still be boosting the fuel pressure to about double the norm so that would make for a rich condition for as long as you are hitting the buttom. I guess that is ok on the motor...but I'm not a 100% sure. It's been a while since I've done those tests. But I do know there are several ways to test the system with the motor both on and off. If I were you I'd refer to your NOS #5115 owners manual to make sure before doing any more test. Or call the NOS techline and talk to them. And while you have the tech line on the phone ask them which # of nitrous jets are for the 125 shot. Make sure they specify which # goes in the vacuum T and which one goes in the nozzle plumbed into the TB. I can't remember the exact jet #s off the top of my head. But I run a 150 shot, anyway. You may need to get an additional inline fuel pump if you plan on going up over a 100hp shot. The Hobbs switch will let you know if you're not getting enough fuel, by shutting off the flow of nitrous. Call your local speed shop or look on JEGS or Summit's websites and you'll find the jets that you'll need to upgrade your system. Sorry this is so long. Hopefully you can answer all of my questions...to help me get a better understanding of your system. Although it sounds like you have it figured out.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:22 AM   #6
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

the bottle is (was) pretty full. it makes sense what you said about the line to the TB though. i was playing with those other lines where it had pressure and sprayed out, SO it should not have had pressure in it like you said! I do mean the allen screw behind the switch and not the FPR, however I never adjusted it again. it seems to work now fine. i do have the hobbs switch switched up as well weird thing though. well at least it gave me a chance to un hook everything and learn a little more about the system. where is the other T-connector you are talking about that has another pill in there. i thought there was only one for the TB?! Thanks SIMI

75 shot of nitrous!

Old 09-29-2003, 12:17 PM   #7
Simi Stang

Default nitrous

Glad to hear that the system is working now. I know I asked this before...but just wanted to be sure...so you do have the Hobbs switch hooked up then, right? Definitely do not run the system with that unhooked. As for the T-connector, follow the vacuum line from your fuel pressure regulator. It will lead you to this vacuum T. The other nitrous jet will be in there. It should be anodized blue...so you should be able to spot it fairly easy. Good luck.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:55 PM   #8
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

yes, i do have it hooked up thanks simi, i will look for that other pill and try and find the 125 shot pills for this baby!

75 shot of nitrous!