MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-25-2002, 05:32 PM   #1
wildneg
Registered Member

Default 302 Block Specs / What do I need?

I am going to convert my mustang (http://www.techsi.net/kevinp) to EFI. I talked to someone from Windsor Fox and gots some info and will be placing an order for that whole kit soon. First thing is first, I need to get a block to start with. I didn't want to bore it or get anything really high performance because I dont' want to spend all my money there. I want to have a 12 second or so nice very drivable street car that will pass emissions.

So, I need to really find me a decent new block to start from. I will buy a new intake, heads, cam, etc for it and get it setup then purchase the harness kit. What I have found so far (and i'm very anxious to buy soon to start) is a remanufactured stock 302 block from pepboys which from what he told me had a stock intake, heads, pistons, cam, crank, lifters, etc. It was basically a stock 302 crate motor. They wanted $1461.00 + a $200.00 core charge. So I'm looking at $1661.00. I will just end up taking off the heads, taking out the cam, and removing the intake to put my performance ones on. And I kind of wanted a beffier crank and pistons. So this could be a bad choice...

What I did find in a mustang magazine was summit has brand new 302 factory stock blocks. www.summitracing.com part number SES-5-60-04-200 that I was looking at. It comes with main caps, finished line hone, and finished bores. They want about $350.00 for it which isn't a problem. My question is, what kind of crank and what kind of pistons would I put in and how much extra am I talking? And all the bolts and anythign else I may need to get it all set. That would in theory, be a short block then I just created? They go for like $1800.00 and so online and in magazines. But I want to build something much cheaper then that. I don't want really huge high performance.

So what route should I really go? I havn't seen prices on the summit motor yet, but I think it sounds like thats the safest, cheapest way to go? Maybe not? Anyone know any sites to purchase a non-bored 302 with a little strong crank and little more performance pistons? Any suggetions would be welcomed! I'm going to create a website soon that will house pictures and a log of whats going on for all to read and i'll keep you guys posted. I'm sure i'll have more questions. Thanks!

- Kevin P
wildneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 07:52 PM   #2
juiceman
Registered Member

look in the classified or junk yard and buy a motor. it will cost more to try to piece a motor together from nothing than to just buy a crate motor. theres nothing wrong with buying a used motor and you dont usually need to bore 302's unless something was wrong with it. if you plan on changing heads intake cam etc. then you can just buy a short block from pep boys for a few hundred. unless you plan on spending 800 or more on a steel crank youre not gonna get a beefier crank than stock. its gonna be tough to beat a crate motor on price. from the way it sounds you need to rethink your plan. why buy all the fuel inj. conversion stuff new when you can save money by getting from a newer car?
juiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 10:14 PM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

If you buy the block from Summit, you'll also need:

Full rebuild kit, recommeded forged: $400
Heads: I'd recommend the GT-40P's $500
Rockers: 1.6:1 roller $160
Crank: I haven't priced them lately.
Water pump: $50
Intake: Cobra $400

Without the crank you're already at $1860, including no shipping on the parts, and charging $350 for the Summit block.

If you're looking for performance on a budget, get an Explorer 5.0 from 96-01. There are a few changes from the Explorer 5.0 to the 5.0HO, but you can swap out the pistons, change the cam, and switch over a few other parts and be out the door with a good shape $1500 320hp engine. That's about as good as you're gonna get. Also, since I haven't researched it deeply, you should before you try it.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 06:28 AM   #4
wildneg
Registered Member

Well, then if I get the stock block from Pepboys, replace the heads, cam, intake, get bigger injectors, and a larger MAF, put it in my car, think I would be around 12s? And yet have a very street drivable car and be able to drive with it many times during the week (to work and such)? I guess $1600.00 for a all stock remanufactured block, thats pretty good. If the crank in the stock block is strong enough for 12s then i'm all for it. And if the pistons can handle it, yay for me

One other thing, if I decided to strap on a small 8psi or so supercharger, would I have to change the crank and/or pistons? And when I priced the block, they had two. A HO and a non HO. The HO had roller cam/rockers and a knock sensor. I have no clue what a knock sensor is for and i'm assuming the better buy here is the HO? They had a non HO with knock sensors. I was talking with a buddy and defintly want to get roller rockers. Well, let me know! If I get good posts saying go for the crate remanufactured motor from pepboys, on my way to school tonight (ITT) I'll stop in and place the order. Thanks guys! I'll keep you all posted! I'm really excited and hope to have everything here and being built soon. My goal is to be done way before summer is over. I want to have some fun this summer. Thanks!

- KevinP
- kevin@techsi.net

* Future Project(s) & Upgrade(s) *
- Install Heat Again!
- Supercharge
- Redo interior
- Suspension / Brakes
wildneg is offline   Reply With Quote