MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-14-2001, 02:14 PM   #1
Blue Stallion
Registered Member

Post Which is better: Kennybell supercharger or turbo kit?

which will be better for 90% street and 10% race use? I know that the KB Will be alot less hasle over all to maintain but is the power good? Or should i go with a turbo setup? Right now my engin is stock but what ever way i go with new heads and valve train are going to be put on.
Blue Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 04:11 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Whoo boy, you couldn't have picked more opposite ways to go forced induction.

It's gonna depend completely on what you want. 90% street, 10% race duty is totally irrevelent.

The KenneBell supercharger is a twin screw positive displacement unit. It runs off a drive belt, and delivers maximum boost at a mere 1800rpms. With some mild engine mods you should expect to see 100hp additional with the 8psi kit. Stock, you'll get around 80hp. The KenneBell is a stealth unit, making no real audible whine. It's a bolt on part, requiring no oiling lines or fabrication. The installation is as simple as it gets for this type of system. Gearing won't need to be very aggressive to get good times at the strip or on the street. The KenneBell turns your smallblock into a bigblock with teeth. As with any forced induction unit, adding cooling upgrades is a good idea. Simple to bolt in, extremely low maintenence and flexibilty in making power is what the kit does best.

The Incon turbo kit is a dual turbocharger set running off exhaust pressure to spin impellers making tons of boost. You'll have to get some rpm before the kit starts making maximum boost, when it does you can expect much more hp than the KenneBell will give you. This system is noisy, you'll definately hear the turbo's spooling, so will the guy getting blown away next to you. With some mild engine work 150hp+ additional is completely attainable. The kit is much more of a pain to install, and the initial cost is higher. You should upgrade your cooling system, just like with the KenneBell. Gearing should be a little more aggressive than with the KenneBell for best results. This way is expensive, but with it you get huge power, and even greater cool guy factor.

It's up to you, myself personally, I like the KenneBell for reliability. I don't think I'd like putting that much more hp onto a stock block/rotating assembly. That and I want to be silent but deadly.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 01:24 AM   #3
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World
If It Ware Me, Id Go Turbo. If You Dont Have A Heavy Foot (Yeah Right, Your In A Stang) The Turbo Wont Bother Daily Driving Until You Rev It Up. The Turbo Is The Closest Thing To Free Power (Driven By Exhaust Gasses, Not Using The Engines Power To Spin A Belt), & The Incon Kit Comes Complete With Everything Except E7ZZ Engine Mounts (Required For The Extra Power). Ive Priced Them Out Myself & They Are Almost The Same Price!!! With The Kenne Bell, You Need A New Fuel System & Mass-Air, But That Stuff Is Included In The Incon Kit. The Incon Has An Intercooler, & The Kit Can Produce 800hp+ (28psi) On A Race Motor, Or You Can Turn Down The Boost & Go Crusin (7psi). The Incon Comes With Water Cooled Turbos So Theirs No Cookin Of The Oil. A Turbo Is The Way To Go, But Either Way Is Fine.
Later....

------------------
1988 Mustang GT, T-5
No Smog Pump (Shorty Belt), Dumps At The End Of Stock H-Pipe (Sounds Mean), K&N Air Filter (Stock Air Box, Removed air silendcer), 198.9 rwhp @4200 (235 Motor!!), 285 lbs-ft @2900 (336 Motor!!!).
My Stang This Is What Dynomax Ultra-Flo's Do
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 05:44 PM   #4
Blue Stallion
Registered Member

I was leaning more towards the Kenne Bell because of low maint. It would be a pain if I had to get new water and oil hoses for the turbos when they crack. that was my only concern for them. Bow tie what was the price difference and what is included with the incon kit now? thanks for the replys
Old 03-15-2001, 11:44 PM   #5
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World
Cool

Ok this is straight out of the pages of "Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords" So here it goes

"bolth of incons kits feature state-of-the-art turbos with adjustable wastegates that can produce between 400 and 800 horsepower. the kits come complete as packages with watercooled, ballbearing turbos that make between 7 and 25 psi of boost. according to incon, "boost may be set manually or electronically using optional equipment."
along with the turbos, buyers get a durable, high-efficency intercooler measureing 36x6x3.5-inches. the kit includes a set of custom four-in-one cast iron exhaust headers with a dump toobe, all the necessary air ducting with a cold induction package, a fuel system including an 80mm mass air meter, 190lph in tank pump, 30lb injectors and a custom EEC-IV computer chip. also supplied are a set of high silicon plug wires with heat insulationand all the hardware for instilation.
one of the benifits of the incon system is reliability. "our twin ballbearing turbochargers feature water cooling to eliminat hot end turbo bearing failures from oil "cookin" and at the same time eliminate heat transfer to the
compressor end of the turbocharger," sources at incon say. the company also realises the need for fuel in a turbocharged engine and has pieced together a fuel system capeable of 500hp.
"as most of you know by now, your cars fuel system is the key to making horsepower and, more importantly, making your engine live under boost, our standard fuel system includes a 190lph in tank pump, genuine bosch 30lb injectors and a custom computer chip. the fuel system is capeable of approxamatley 500hp, which is the practicle limit of a stock short block." the sources said.
kits range from $3995 for 87-93 mustangs and 4295 for 94-95 mustangs.
as performance goes, incon claims a STOCK mustang can go 11s at 115mph with only 10psi, 10s with high flow heads, cam and an intake with only 5psi more, and 9s at over 150 with a race engine and 15-20psi of boost.

WOW!! I CANT FEEL MY FINGERS!!!

This Helped Me Decide If I Was To Go Power Adder, I Would Get This Kit.
Hopefully this helps you make up your mind.

Later
Kris......

------------------
1988 Mustang GT, T-5
No Smog Pump (Shorty Belt), Dumps At The End Of Stock H-Pipe (Sounds Mean), K&N Air Filter (Stock Air Box, Removed air silendcer), 198.9 rwhp @4200 (235 Motor!!), 285 lbs-ft @2900 (336 Motor!!!).
My Stang This Is What Dynomax Ultra-Flo's Do
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 02:03 AM   #6
Mustanguy

Cool

90% Street and 10% race use..

Kenne Bell

If it was a 90% race car,I would go with the Turbo.

------------------
Paxton Blown 87GT
Old 03-16-2001, 03:08 AM   #7
84_GT350
Registered Member

I'm with the Kenne Bell crowd. I think the turbo may prove too "peaky" for street driving. Besides, to get any part of the low end you'd get with the Kenne Bell out of a turbo, you'd have to run a twin turbo kit. One to kick in lower, one to take over at higher rpm. The Kenne Bell produces a much flatter boost curve with full boost occuring at (or around) 2000-2500rpm. No boost lag to speak of really. Besides, turbos can require some heat protection measures like heat shielding, lots of burned plug wires, etc. And who wants to spend 1 1/2 hours changing plugs after letting the engine cool overnight (which is what Incon says it takes to do it). Like Mustanguy, if the car was more of a race piece, I'd say go with the turbos...more power potential at higher rpm. I think the Kenne Bell 2.2L will make you a happy man.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 12:03 PM   #8
turbo347
Registered Member

I wouldn't consider a turbo "peaky". Now a centrifgal blower, that's peaky. My Cartech single turbo kit made full boost around 3200 rpm. Now that's not as low as the Kenne Bell, but it's not bad at all. And boost started coming in @ around 2200. The Cartech kit comes with heat protection hardware. And I never burned a plug wire. The turbo side plugs were not that bad to get to either. Certainly the Kenne Bell is easier to maintain, but a single turbo kit isn't that bad either. I had a friend that had 2 Kenne Bell's. He said the discharge temps were too high and they would never make the power that he would eventually want. My point is, you say you want 10% race. I said that in the beginning too. But I knew that someday I may want more. That's why I went with a turbo. And it was plenty of joy on the street too
turbo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 12:40 PM   #9
Blue Stallion
Registered Member

Cool

Yea, now that i really think about it i will get more bang for my buck going to the icon twin turbo route. power is nice and more power is better! LOL