Thread: More Power??
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2002, 05:07 PM   #4
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VT StangFreak
Thats tight man, I have really not heard of too many Mustangs being turbo charged. What times do you run? Also how much did it cost to put in a turbo? Lastly would you go with twin turbo, or a single if money were of no object?
Adding a turbo has become alot more popular in the last few years as more and more companies have begun to make turbo kits for mustangs.

Times for me, don't have any yet. I just added a set of Edelbrock heads and a few other little things. Now my 30 lb injectors and the pump I'm currently running just won't keep up. I've been too lazy or just haven't had enough time to switch them out. Plus, I'm not one to take it to the track unless I know I'm pretty safe with my setup. Too much money invested at this point just to blow it up for the heck of it. A friend just took his to Bristol TN and ran. He went 10.82 at 129 mph on pump gas and 9 lbs of boost. I don't think I'll be that fast, but hopefully close. He's running a stock bottom end 302, stock cam, TW heads, Trick Flow intake, 70 mm TB, Pro M mass air, 42 lb injectors and a 255 in-tank pump. The turbo setup is a Turbo Technology race kit with a T-72 turbo. The car is his everday driver and idles like it's stock.

As far as cost, it's starting to keep more competitive with more companies getting into it. Most kits will run around the $4000 mark, but you get alot more with a turbo kit than just the turbo and bracketing, which is usually about all you get from most supercharger companies. I've heard rumors, just never took the time to check about somebody offering a kit for around $2500. Pro Turbo I think is the name, maybe something worth checking into.

If money were no object, I'd still go with a single setup. Twins are nice, but they just take up too much room under the hood. A single's easier to work on and will make as much or more power than twin's anyway.