View Single Post
Old 11-07-2002, 06:33 PM   #7
jim_howard_pdx
Registered Member

Cool

Ultraflow gets the first award for thinking today.

On most fuel injected cars, the computer controls how long the fuel injector is on. The computer bases this on some pretty complex algorhythems but it requires one constant. FUEL PRESSURE.

It is important to carbs too but in different and interesting ways.

So if the algorythem is set for 45 psi, and your fuel rail delivers 41 psi at WOT you are way short of the power you can produce.

I like to use really big rails, feed them with way more pressure and fuel volume they would ever need and use the gorgeous Vortec fuel pressure regulator. It is specifically designed for high volume fuel consumption and maintains the pressure expertly well for natural aspirated, turbo, and supercharged engines.

Yes slicks make a big difference. I always liked MT slicks, and have used a variety of hard wall, soft wall, and crinkle wall models. I knew a couple of brothers that owned a Goodyear shop, but their slicks were too slick and not enough stick.

I never said I competed directly against any top fuel team, because I never raced that bracket. I raced primarily in the 9 and 10 second brackets.

"We" refers to me and my racing buds. I wrenched alot of engines from about the age of 12 on. Did my first carb rebuild at 14. Did my first dyno session at 15. Did my first capacitive discharge ignition system at 16. Ran 10 seconds at 18 and so on and so on and so on......

I have never driven a quarter mile in under 8 seconds. So when I see Ron and Eric talk about their competition licenses I must admit I salivate like Pavlov's dog.

I have been beat a zillion times. There isn't an engine in the world I could not break, or a transmission, transaxle, rear end, or chassis. You name it and I have broken it or bent it.

Good job Ultraflow.
Love the car!