MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-06-2003, 12:12 PM   #1
sleeper_stang_2000
Registered Member

Default Problem with Nitrous

I have a 100 shot of NOS Powershot with RPM/Fuel switch. I find that when I fill-up the bottle and put it to use the same day it works perfect. But when I try to spray like a week later is doesn't spray. It's behaves as if the bottle is closed (bogs the engine out when I activate the system). Could it be that I have to get a purge kit? The only way it works again is if I relieve the line pressure and reconnect it. Is there another way around this pain in the rear?
3ft Above Sea evel
sleeper_stang_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 03:08 PM   #2
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

the engine is bogging because the fuel presure was raised but the nos did not inject causing a over rich condition a purge kit may help. but as far as i know all that does is remove moisture and dirt that may be in the line out.
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 03:54 PM   #3
sleeper_stang_2000
Registered Member

I also forgot to include that when it bogs, there is a minor smell of fuel, once I release the throttle, the engine functions....the problem is when I'm WOT and active the nitrous....how do I correct the problem...btw, the fuel system is stock.
3ft Above Sea evel
Old 04-06-2003, 05:50 PM   #4
Shaggy
Registered Member

Sounds to me like a possible sticky solinoid. When was the last time you rebuilt them?

I have run alot of nitrous through the years and have run very few purge lines. I have always just "purged" during burnout by bumping the activation button real quick(if it is a 2 stage system then have 2 manual activation buttons on to activate each step seperatly to purge this way). if i am in a street car and spraying from a roll then i may get a littlte bog but then it picks right and goes. On a small shot (250 or less)some fuel ratio guages react fast enough to see the rich condition but but most bounce around enough not to really see it. on a hundred shot you aren't adding enough fuel for you motor to lay over on itself for the instant that it takes for the nitrous to get through the line/solinoid/jet.
Old 04-06-2003, 07:49 PM   #5
sleeper_stang_2000
Registered Member

I've had the system for about 6 months now and have only gone through about 4 full 10lb bottles. No, I have not rebuilt the silenoid (powershot). Should I rebuild it? I checked all the wired, grounds, fuse and relay. Maybe it is the silenoid. Where can I order the parts? (if you think I should rebuild it)
3ft Above Sea evel
Old 04-06-2003, 08:44 PM   #6
Shaggy
Registered Member

40 pounds is that much but 6 mos is about right for me on a nitrous combination but i will use 4 bottles in less then half a month or less. are you running a filter or anything inline on the nitrous line? or a progressive controller?

With a throttle activation 6you will need 2 people to do this test or jumper across the throttle switch.

What i would do is with out the car running and the line from the solinoid to the jet not connected try and activate it and see if you release any nitrous to the atmosophere. IT IS REALLY IMPORTANT NOT TO NOT TO HAVE IT SPRAYING INTO THE MOTOR when you do that. Starting a car full of nitrous in the intake can lead to severe damage. Ok that aside if the nitrous doesn't spray through the solinoid try tapping on it while the system is activated and see if it starts to spray then.If it consistly sprays every time it is activated then it is not the solinoid.