MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Power Adders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-22-2003, 06:03 PM   #1
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default Nitrous+Propane injection at the same time.

Some of the LS1 guys have been running a nitrous + propane kit on there car. Its basicly a wet kit but instead of adding extra gasoline to mix with the nitrous you add propane.

So you have a nitrous and a propane solenoid.

Any thoughts?
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 07:50 PM   #2
BilLster
Registered Member

propane kits are big for diesel's it would just be one more veriatable in my mind to worry about. and another tank.

its like the import guys that are running n2o to spray there intercoolers and thats it. I purge mine through the intercooler but still can inject it where it does more good.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:07 PM   #3
Snakeman
Registered Member

Thumbs up double whammy!

since much of the benefit of nitrous oxide injection is due to charge temperature lowering due to the phase change of the liquid n20 or c3h8 (propane) into gas, which takes a lot of energy in the form of heat.

another benefit is that 'wet' systems would no longer be wet, no longer have pooling fuel in the intake, so will have much less tendancy to blow up intakes.

is it NHRA legal?
Old 10-24-2003, 03:58 PM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I am not sure but an LS1 guy gained 130 RWHP off of a 70 shot.

Propane +nitrous kit.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 10:59 PM   #5
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Question

Hey, interesting subject, especially considering that I just learned (tonight) that diesel engines use propane instead of N2O (is this true?--- never even knew that). Is it possible that anyone can explain to me why? Sorry that I have nothing to actually offer in this thread except questions....
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 11:15 PM   #6
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

This is very common in the turbo world. A while ago I did some research and found a propane kit made for a company that ORIGINALLY designed it for the 3000GT VR-4's, but I'm sure they have plenty of setups for different types of cars.

Propane is a very high octane fuel, that is liquid when it's pressurized and vaporizes when it decompresses out of the storage bottles. Same idea as nitrous - it helps with sucking up intake charge heat. However, the big advantage to propane is it is a very HIGH octane fuel, much like running pure methanol into your engine. You can then add a much more aggressive tune and make more power. Combining the fuel with the extra oxygen of the nitrous would be a killer setup. Getting the right proportion of propane in there would be critical however, you don't want it to go way lean! Propane is also very cheap and readily available. The injection kit bottles didn't require filling very often either, as I recall.

The downside is propane is a VERY volatile fuel, so having it inside your car would pose a hazard if treated incorrectly (unlike nitrous which is inert at "atmospheric" temperatures). It is heavier than air also and will settle in low areas if there is a leak (by your feet, spare tire well, etc.) which could be rather catastrophic once a spark is introduced. With that being said, everything is "usable" if you take the proper precautions.

Mods Pics
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote