MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-11-2002, 06:39 PM   #1
BlackFireN2O
Registered Member

Default Nitrous Activation Setup

I'd like to see some of the nitrous users' setups. How you activate your bottles and your control panel switches (heard some people hide it in their ashtray), where you hide them or even if its out in the open. Please post some pics. Thanks!!!
BlackFireN2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 07:14 PM   #2
zepherman
Registered Member

Sorry man, but i dont have a camera I installed a swich panel where my ash tray was after i cut the ash tray out. The panel has the arm switch for my nitrous and various other switches. I have my nitrous set up to activate with a full throttle switch. i used a lighted rocker swich from radio shack for the arm.
90 GT 25th Anni. Did the AOD to T-5 swap, SPEC clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, BBK 2½ inch off-road H pipe, Flows, BBK 70mm TB/EGR, Ford Racing aluminim driveshaft, 3.55's, welded subframes, Ram Air, 3 core radiator, NOS dry kit 75 shot, and a K&N filter.

12.9 @ 108
zepherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 09:51 PM   #3
nitrousdave
Registered Member

Mine's all out in the open but to the casual passerby they wouldn't notice a thing. I gutted the clock in mine and rewired it so I could use the momentary switches in it to turn things on and off. This required making a circuit to control the buttons. It works like this: when the key is turned on the 3 things controlled by the clock are off, then when I push one of the buttons it turns on or off depending on whether it was already on or not. I control my electric water pump, nitrous fuel pump, and bottle heater with this. Next, since I don't have wipers anymore I wired the wiper switch to activate the system. When you pull on the switch instead of squirting washer fluid it purges the system, then when I turn it on the delay setting it activates the system. I also use a microswitch and a button on the shifter so it's still not actually on untill WOT. Also, I wired the defroster switch to stay on all the time and it runs the fuel pump for the motor and the fan switch for the heater controls the cooling fans. In case your wondering why I went to the trouble, I'm studying to be an electrical engineer so this kind of thing is fun for me. Now my friends call my car the bond-mobile!! lol Sorry for the long post.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:26 PM   #4
BlackFireN2O
Registered Member

Wow great setups from both of you, but nitrousdave entriuged me the most. Where did you learn to do all that wiring and tapping into different switches and such. I know next to nothing about how to wire electrical stuff. Do you know where i can learn at least the basics of electric wiring. Thanks for all replies!!
Old 08-12-2002, 12:12 AM   #5
Mustang_GT_90
Registered Member

I've got mine in the ash tray as well. I made a little plate out of a peice of thin wood, painted it black, and used two autozone lit rocker switches, one for nitrous and one for the bottle warmer. Nobody ever knows it's there. I'd gonna do it over in brushed aluminum and make room for some switches once I get time, I'm needing places for more switches and like the painless wiring panel so basically I'm gonna copy it.
Another thing to look at is how you're gonna activate it. You want a manual switch in easy reach so you can hit it at the track, you're not gonna wanna really on your WOT switch. I've got this button, plus a WOT switch, plus an MSD window switch with 3000-6000 RPM modules. I can actually arm it and come out of the hole off the bottle and it doesn't spray until it hits 3000. Most of the time this doesn't work that great on street tires though becuase the car is really pulling in the 3000 RPM range and the sudden shock of that blows them off in first so I end up hitting the switch in second gear going down the track. This is a good place to have it for using it like that and as long as you don't open your ash tray no one ever knows.
I attatched a picture of it, I hope it works I've never put a picture before
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-003f2.jpg (21.4 KB, 47 views)
Check out our clubs website at http://www.stanggang.com
Mustang_GT_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 06:53 AM   #6
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

I have a polished stainless steel switch panel I made below the radio. I use a toggle to arm the system, a momentary switch to activate the purge, and a WOT switch at the throttle body to activate the system. In need of a bottle heater still, the NX seems to be the best out, activates of bottle pressure not temp.

I ran the WOT switch through my Nuetral saftey switch as well (located behind the clutch pedal) so when I shift the N20 stops spraying, then comes back on as soon as I get it into gear. I may go to the NX tps switch, I am not a huge fan of this chincy little bracket for the WOT switch.

One thing no one has mentioned id your switch must be able to take 12 volts if not you need to run it through a 30amp relay, I suggest runnig relay's anyway, just is the correct way to do it.

nitrousdave Nice set-up, very stealth.

Here's a pic of mine before the black interior swap, I have the momentary button for the purge is in the heater/control bezel, very easy to reach. The button on the shifter is for my line lock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg panel.jpg (41.9 KB, 48 views)

Check out RNH Performance Performance Engines and Custom Fabrication.
From Mild to Wild we can build what you want, when you want it.

FOR SALE Stainless Steel Torque Box Supports
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 12:04 PM   #7
BlackFireN2O
Registered Member

Default Rick 91GT

Rick 91GT, I thought the WOT switch was not an activation switch, I thought it was just a safety precaution so you don't accidentaly activate the juice unless you are in WOT? To me it seemed like you were saying that the juice automatically comes on when you open the throttle all the way, please enlighten me on this. Thanks again in advance!!!
Old 08-12-2002, 12:31 PM   #8
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Yeah the WOT switch is what activates the Nitrous and fuel flow, the toggle is just to arm/turn on the system.

A hobbs switch would also be a good idea, it cuts off the system if the fuel pressure drops. I have found my car really responds to the N20 when the bottle pressure is 1100psi, most say 900-950 but my car is a little lazy down that low, although that is what ym 11.28 came on...nice air and some bottle pressure and the elusive traction will net me a decent 10 sec pass for sure.

Good Luck
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 01:50 PM   #9
BlackFireN2O
Registered Member

So if you have a WOT switch you don't need to press a button, it just goes on when you are at WOT? Also is the hobbs fuel pressure switch the same device that comes with the NX GEN-X packages, it has some sort of fuel pressure switch that when it gets to low it shuts off.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:55 PM   #10
BilLster
Registered Member

a properly set up wot switch will activate the n2o at wot so you can have both hands on the steerung wheel. mine was set up so after i purged the system i just raced and let the n2o go on at full throttle.
Old 08-12-2002, 11:12 PM   #11
nitrousdave
Registered Member

Thanks for the nice comments guys! I've always tinkered with wiring and electrical stuff so it's second nature to me. Really everything except re-wiring the clock and making the circuit to go with it was easy. Since the switches weren't being used I just figured out how they worked and wired them to do what i wanted them to do, of course going to college for this hasn't hurt either!
Old 08-13-2002, 09:34 AM   #12
Agent_4573
Registered Member

I found a nice piece of aluminum and cut it to fit over the lower din slot for the radio. Two stainless steel bolts and it looks almost like i bought it somewhere. Right now i have a the arming switch in the plate right next to my electric fan switch. To actually shoot the juice, I use the tps activated WOT switch that came w/ the system. I'm still in need of an electric purge valve, bottle heater, and remote opener. Those 3 switches will be joining the others wide out in the open right below the stereo.
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 02:02 AM   #13
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

Moroso rocker switch panel... I don't use the momentary switch on the panel... FUEL - H2O - FAN - NX - N2O ...NX is the bottle heater. My purge button is the red button that got cut out of the pic (near the column). The button on the T-handle is the line lock.

I use the N2O rocker to arm the system... a WOT switch on the throttle body to activate... and an MSD window switch dialed in at 3400 'ON' and 6900 'OFF' ...located where the wiper motor used to be.

Not exactly a good pic of the interior... the brightness in the pic makes my interior mis-match... the center console is actually black in appearance with the naked eye (hmmm)... I made the cover plate out of Lexan, painted black on the backside...

I like the way nitrousdave did his setup too... now that's very James Bond (cool/stealthy)

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph

Last edited by ultraflo; 08-14-2002 at 02:09 AM..
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote