MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Power Adders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-04-2005, 03:50 PM   #1
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Default Please Help!!

There should really be a forum marked 'Mechanical' because I know once I write this this freakin thread'll be moved somewhere..Regardless, someone'll see it. Ok, Even though I can't afford $#%# right now, the 17x9 and 17x10.5 Chrome Cobra wheels are gonna set me back almost a grand..The Eibach springs kit, I'm seeing those for between $200 and $300..Now theres installation. I know good mechanics just like everybody else..but theres' only so far the "my brother's friend's wife's half-cousin whos' a mechanic" situation can take you when it comes to bringing down the labor cost of doing something like installing a new clutch or the Eibach springs. Ergo, I'm looking for any and all help I can get with doing this myself (preferably the springs)..Not smart, yeah..(I'm not one of those idiots from monster garage, I work elsewhere)..But is all thats keeping me from doing these things myself the fact that I don't have a LIFT??? PLEASE HELP!!
Old 03-04-2005, 05:53 PM   #2
84gt347
Registered Member

Default Re: Please Help!!

i had better luck w/out my lift. the rear is easy put a jack under the pumpkin and take loose the shocks and the sway bar. The car will have to have jack stands on the body so the rear will hang down. Once you have the shocks and sway bar loose, it should release down enough for the springs to pop out easily. The new rear springs will be easy to install.

In the front, prop the car up and let the A-arm hang down. Put a jack under the a-arm and take loose the tie rod ends and the struts, and the sway bar. Let it down slow. you'll need to pry that spring out. BEE CAREFUL. Make sure there is not much tension left. The new springs go in better b/c they are shorter

just take your time, you can do it
All Forced ( one way or another)
84gt347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:49 PM   #3
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

I put the springs on one of my cars on a lift and the other in my garage with 2 floor jacks and some jack stands. The lift is a little easier but not entirely necessary.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
procharge94
Registered Member

As everyone has mentioned, the rear springs will be cake. Just be very careful with the front springs. The stock springs have a tendency to be a bitch when removing. Do this slowly and try to stay clear of the spring, if for any reason it does find itself in a funny position and comes rocketing out.

If you are still looking for some Eibach's, I have the pro-lines that were on my car. They are a few months old from a car that saw more time on jackstands than on the ground. PM me and we can work something out for the cost.
procharge94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:14 PM   #5
Jenns05Stang
Registered Member

I went about the "girlie" method and used jack stands and a spring compresser, especially for the fronts of the 98 V-6, rented it from the local United Rentals......I was scared of recoil and hurting myself, I had a Stang buddy assist me...Four hands are better than two.. .... Follow the instructions....It's handy if you have a Haynes or Chilton manual in case you have something either go wrong or one of those "extra bolts" just comes off.

I prefered the Eibach Pro-kit to the Sportlines. If you go with the Sportline..you may want to save your money a bit longer and consider the Sport-System. A 2" drop will be very stiff and aggressive. Without reenginnering the suspension system along with the Springs the ride quality will suffer.

Good Luck... You can do it!

Jennifer
Jenns05Stang is offline   Reply With Quote