MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Power Adders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-17-2003, 03:01 AM   #1
Torinalth
Registered Member

Default power for 500 hp daily

hey guys... I've been lurking here for a good long time, posted on occasion.

i'm about to make my purchase for my power adder... i want a reliable daily driver that can make 500 HP... even if i have it set up so i can go lower power for daily and jack it up in power for the weekends via a double programed chip....

my main question is what should i go with for my power adder? i wanna spend as little as possible to get there... but am having issues... i can get a procharger P-1sc kit for around 3400 but that will net me around 350 to the floor. will need full exhaust system to get around 400 and still short by a bit too much... i dont have to hit 500, just close...

now i've been taking invintory and was looking to go with turbolocity to get a single T66 turbo kit... that runs around 5200 and would net me 450 HP and 500 Tq given a good tune, then a good X pipe and free flow exhaust and i should be there... so thats around 7k total after exhaust and tune....

think its cheaper to get some forged internals and up the boost on a blower? or keep the stock block and get the turbo? at SOME point i will get a shortblock that will allow me to get to 800 or so, but i have no need at the moment. nor do i have the cash to spend on a block for a good long time.

whats yer ideas? ----2002 GT by the way

Torinalth
Old 09-17-2003, 05:37 AM   #2
surfbeast
Registered Member

No offense , but if you want that kind of power sell the GT and get a Cobra. You'll need to do alot more than a blower or a turbo to get 500hp from the 4.6 SOHC. Think 400 hp and you'll be better off!
Old 09-17-2003, 08:41 AM   #3
VeNuM
Registered Member

1) Full engine rebuild with forged internals and ported heads
2) Lots of boost
3) Free flowing exhaust
4) Good tune

Either way you're looking at way over 7k for this, to do it the right, safe way at least. ~Brian

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 07:01 PM   #4
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

In my opinion, the words:

Reliable, 500 RWHP, Daily Driver, and SOHC 4.6 GT usually don't go together very cheaply.

Be VERY careful and have a big wallet waiting...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 06:53 PM   #5
Torinalth
Registered Member

hah, i was kinda figuring that...

i know turbolocity puts down a turbo for the 2v that puts 450 HP and 510 Tq on a stock block (dunno how muhc the block likes it though)

so i guess the main question is then, what parts of the engine need to be replace at what power? i know i can go to a zero balanced forged crank and good pistons and H-beams, but does the block or valves need help at around that power?

also, i know turbos can add a ton more power... but what would you do? get the more power wit the turbo, or get the standard blower for cheaper? and i know i can change pullies on the blower (I was looking at ATI for the blower)

Torinalth
Old 09-20-2003, 04:24 PM   #6
SleeperGT
Registered Member

If you want to just be able to say you have 500 hp, at the motor that is, it shouldn't be a major problem. I know with a Vortech SC, Anderson PowerPipe, 90 MM MAS, 42 pound injectors, custom chip, say a Diablo or JMS chip, and the all important dyno tune you should be able to get to 400 rwhp even a little more, which is about 470 hp at the motor which is pretty close to your 500 goal. All this will cost about $4000, especially if you buy at muscle motors.com, which lets you buy the SC cafeteria style (I wish I had heard of them when I bought my upgrades). Also, if you really go to make the 500 rwhp you're going to need a new transmission, as I hear the stock one is only good to about 450 rwhp, so add that to your $$'s if you really want 500 rwhp. Good luck!
3.1" Pulley
Paxton Air-to-Air Aftercooler
90 mm MAS
42 lb injectors
Cobra Fuel Pump
70 mm AccuFab Throttlebody
C & L Intake Plenum
2 1/2" X-pipes
Anderson PowerPipe
MagnaFlow Mufflers
Diablo Custom Chip
3.73's
Steeda Lower Control Arms
358 rwhp (Mustang Dyno)

New Track Times Coming Soon
SleeperGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 09:50 PM   #7
Torinalth
Registered Member

I've been doing a bit of research, and think i've found a multiphase solution... i dont need a number, technically.. but i wanted a certain power, and prestige... and after doing a bit of research.. i think i found what i want, and wanted to run it passed yall.

I'm looking at getting the kenne bell twin screw blower at 10# of boost, and getting the cool air kit thingy. that would be my first step... after that i;d do the obscenely large air line that is something like a 90mm MAF and 75mm TB, or something of that extent. making full boost at 2000 RPMs sound nice to me, and i know KB is a good company...

all that can be done on a stock block and stock car (though i will be replacing the clutch, and prolly the axles and differential, more for the differential type than fear of breakage) and get about 400 to the floor with the blower, and close to 470 with all the ait thingys. but i think 400 might be all in all just fine.

anyone have any opinions on this? or suggestions?

Torinalth
Old 09-21-2003, 11:56 AM   #8
VeNuM
Registered Member

I believe that is an excellent idea. Kenne Bell is a great company and make the best "street" blower in my opinion. Like you said they make full boost at 2,000 rpm unlike the centrifugal blowers. What they're known for is making your engine feel bigger. I know some '03 Cobra owners that have put the Kenne Bell on their cars and they are VERY impressed. So I say go for it! ~Brian

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 03:08 PM   #9
stangsrule
Registered Member

My vote isa for the Kenne Bell, I have one on my 92 and really love it! My only complaint was no intercooling and they said they weren't going to do it but I see they are with the kits for the newer cars so I think that should make it just about the perfect setup for a street car and not too shabby at the track.
92GT Lowered with Ebiach's and Koni's, Kenny Brown subframe connectors, lower G-brace and jacking rails. BBK upper and lower control arms, polyurethane bushings all around and Ken Bell blower, ram-air, 80mm mass air, SMC Alky Injection kit, J&S Knock Gaurd, TwEECer RT and a bunch of other stuff!
stangsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 03:48 PM   #10
Torinalth
Registered Member

i dont care about the track really, but the street is where i need it. i always come across people that really need to be put in their place... and going from a stop, i dont think a KB FI 450 HP motor is going to be beaten unless they have something sick under the hood... hell, with 450 to the floor shouldnt i be able to run Z06 and 03 cobras then

Torinalth
Old 09-22-2003, 04:29 PM   #11
Simi Stang

Default yes

Quote:
Originally posted by Torinalth
with 450 to the floor shouldnt i be able to run Z06 and 03 cobras then

Torinalth
Definitely...
Old 09-22-2003, 11:05 PM   #12
Torinalth
Registered Member

also, just running through KBs site, they say that long tubes and exhaust wont help at all for power... i dont see this as being possible.... what do yall think? i dont know much about FI and mods, just NA and mods... but learning...

Torinalth
Old 09-23-2003, 09:07 AM   #13
BilLster
Registered Member

hey 500 easily n2o how long a stock block with a good 200- 300 hp system will last depends on when you use it .or if you use it.

kenne bell twin screw big pulley and later you can use a smaller pulley as you build up the lower end.

as for exhaust long tubes and such help with scaveging with a blower or turbo once boost hits scavaging isnt a issue as the boost is forcing the exhaust out and with a blower you arent as concerned with back pressure either.

look what the 2003 cobra does with its stock exhaust 390 hp.

it will help some but not as much as a na car.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:10 AM   #14
BilLster
Registered Member

oh yeah the problem with trying to run with 2003 cobra the only one ive seen had a twin screw and a jericho 5 speed also when you get more hp you always want more. I might pull my current engine and go with something milder becasue of the maintenece im always checking and replacing bearings rebuild every other year etc.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:07 AM   #15
Torinalth
Registered Member

looking over a couple places... i know that 10 lbs of boost is the generic suggested cutoff... but what HP is the max suggested on the stock 2v block? the KB can easily put down 500 HP, but how much is too much? i want to run as close to the max as possible... also, KB mentioned something about not running over 6 lbs of boost if under 96 octane... is that BS or what? all we have here is 91, and occasionally i can track down 93...

any thoughts on these two points?

Torinalth
Old 09-24-2003, 03:18 AM   #16
stangsrule
Registered Member

I ran into that problem too... Went with an alky injection setup from SMC (or like as I like to call it, My liquid intercooler) and now I run 14#'S on 93 octane with out any problems.
92GT Lowered with Ebiach's and Koni's, Kenny Brown subframe connectors, lower G-brace and jacking rails. BBK upper and lower control arms, polyurethane bushings all around and Ken Bell blower, ram-air, 80mm mass air, SMC Alky Injection kit, J&S Knock Gaurd, TwEECer RT and a bunch of other stuff!
stangsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 08:16 PM   #17
BilLster
Registered Member

octane depends on elevation and other things PKWRD has a good explination on this if you search it out.

on the coast i ran 103 octane and up a mile high in Calgary 89 doesnt detonate on me.

you can alway's run more boost when you want to cut racing gas in with the 93.

what is your bottom end like stock ?
Old 09-24-2003, 09:54 PM   #18
Torinalth
Registered Member

what do you mean whats my bottom end like stock? heh, its stock.. not sure what yer after.

I'll prolly only run 9lbs and try out the 12 lb pully to see how if i get detonation... but with 91-93 octane, colder plugs, and a good tune i'm hoping the 12lb will work just fine, as thats what i want to be at....

also, what will the stock bottom end take? 400? 450? 500? and would i need a full shortblock, or just a cobra crank with forged Hbeams and forged pistons...

another question... is there a difference between flat top and dished pistons?

Torinalth
Old 09-25-2003, 12:37 AM   #19
LxMustangRacer
Registered Member

I was looking at the kb blowzilla and noticed the kit advertises more hp and costs less than a vortech. What's all included in these kits? I'm really not sure what to look for, wondering if you need to buy any supplemental parts if you purchased one of kb's twin screw blowers.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:54 AM   #20
USMC302
Registered Member

Well, I am doing something very similar, I am stroking to 331 and going to go with a intercooled Vortech at 15psi, they say I will have my 500+hp at the flywheel for sure. Project completion is projected to be May for FFW in Houston, but we'll see. I know the 331 setup I am going with will put me in mid 11's for sure maybe even lower, with the 15lbs of boost I should see mid to low 10's, then drive it back home with A/C. God I love this sh*t!